Re: [CCAMP] [inventory-yang] poll for network inventory base model

Italo Busi <Italo.Busi@huawei.com> Wed, 13 September 2023 21:48 UTC

From: Italo Busi <Italo.Busi@huawei.com>
To: "maqiufang (A)" <maqiufang1=40huawei.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, "inventory-yang@ietf.org" <inventory-yang@ietf.org>
CC: "ivy-chairs@ietf.org" <ivy-chairs@ietf.org>, opsawg <opsawg@ietf.org>, "ccamp@ietf.org" <ccamp@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 21:48:23 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.45.151.141]
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] [inventory-yang] poll for network inventory base model

My preference is option 1 to adopt draft-ietf-ccamp-network-inventory-yang-02 in IVY and evolve it to become the network inventory base model

I understand this draft does not cover all the items in the WG charter but IMHO there is no need  to  cover  all  the  IVY WG charter  items  into  a  single  draft  nor  into  a  single  YANG model. Experience usually shows that modular and incremental (step-by-step) approaches work better with complex scenarios as those we are trying to address in the IVY WG

In this case, considering only HW and SW inventory requirements, I have noted that two different set of UCs have been discussed:

  *   UCs  where  only  HW  inventory  is  required;
  *   UCs where both  HW  and  SW  inventory  is  required

A modular approach defining a  base  model  that  covers  the  common  requirements  (i.e.,  HW inventory)  and  one  or more  augmentation  models  that  covers  optional  additional  requirements  (e.g.,  SW inventory)  would better address these different set of UCs

Moreover, requirements  and  solutions  for  HW inventory  are  more  mature  (based  on existing standards, like RFC8348  and  TMF, and proven by many years of real network deployments)  than  emerging  requirements  and  solutions  for  virtualization,  SW and  licenses  inventory

The proposed model split would allow both HW and SW inventory to progress in parallel and to reach RFC publication as quickly as possible

IMHO, evolving draft-ietf-ccamp-network-inventory-yang-02 to become the network inventory base model would imply also providing the required technical changes to support other model augmentations that cover additional requirements (e.g., SW inventory). The technical details for these changes can be discussed in the interim WG meeting or even offline before/after the interim meeting

Italo