Re: [CCAMP] [Inventory-yang] [inventory-yang] poll for network inventory base model

"zhouchengyjy@chinamobile.com" <zhouchengyjy@chinamobile.com> Mon, 04 September 2023 03:45 UTC

Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 11:45:32 +0800
From: "zhouchengyjy@chinamobile.com" <zhouchengyjy@chinamobile.com>
To: "maqiufang (A)" <maqiufang1=40huawei.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, "inventory-yang@ietf.org" <inventory-yang@ietf.org>
Cc: "ivy-chairs@ietf.org" <ivy-chairs@ietf.org>, opsawg <opsawg@ietf.org>, "ccamp@ietf.org" <ccamp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] [Inventory-yang] [inventory-yang] poll for network inventory base model

Hi Chairs,

It seems that draft-ietf-ccamp-network-inventory-yang-02 focuses only on hardware inventory,  while draft-wzwb-opsawg-network-inventory-management-03 includes both hardware and software inventories (software components, virtual devices, and licenses). Considering the increase of SDN and virtualized service function scenarios in service provider networks, I think these software items are also key parts of network inventory management.

I would like to understand what is in the network inventory core model? My preferences is the item B in the IVY charter:
"B. Hardware/Software components including licenses: Hardware and Software component management to allow network operators to keep track of which physical/virtual devices are deployed in the network, including software and hardware versions as well as licenses/entitlement."

So, it seems to me Option 3 makes more sense, which is to merge the hardware device and hardware components in the draft-CCAMP-network-inventory, and also the virtual devices, software components, and the licenses of the devices and components in the draft-wzwb-network-inventory to form a base model.

Thanks an Best Regards,
Cheng Zhou