Re: [codec] #5: Mention DTMF in requirements, Testing DTMF?

Steve Underwood <steveu@coppice.org> Fri, 02 April 2010 06:23 UTC

Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 14:24:02 +0800
From: Steve Underwood <steveu@coppice.org>
To: codec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [codec] #5: Mention DTMF in requirements, Testing DTMF?

Hi,

I'm the author of the SpanDSP library people have referenced.

People seem to have only mentioned DTMF talk-off in these discussions,
but the issue of corrupting the DTMF so it is less detectable is
probably more of an issue.

Over the years there have been two reference data sets for testing DTMF
talk off - the one from Mitel, and the one from Bellcore. Both started
out as audio cassette tape products. The files I use for DTMF testing
with SpanDSP are:

- A wave file produced by resampling to 8k samples/second the MP3
version of the Mitel tape, which Mitel's heirs provide freely. If this
is fed to TDM equipment it seems to give pretty much the same hits and
near misses as the original Mitel cassette tape version. It seems,
therefore, that aging of the original tape and transcription to MP3 have
no unduly affected he signal.

- A set of wave files which were produced years ago from a pristine set
of the Bellcore test tapes, using a cassette player with speed
adjustment, so the pitch could be tweaked to be bang on target. Later,
Telcordia/Bellcore stopped selling the tapes, and they gave me
permission to hand out these files to a couple of people. Since they are
transcribed from copyright tapes, I only handed them out where
permission was sought. Now they seem to have introduced an audio CD
version of the tapes.

You could use almost any long passages of speech for this kind of
testing, but the above two data sets are the industry accepted ones, as
you can compare different DTMF detectors reasonably well by comparing
their false hits on this data. The Bellcore tapes are about 3 hours of
audio, taken from the PSTN, where the call changes several times per
seond. This is quite a tough test. The Mitel tape is about 30 minutes of
audio passages recorded from the PSTN. Here they change the call every
sentance or two, so the character os the test is somewhat different. It
is much easier to get a good result with the Mitel tape, for various
reasons, although I have found the Mitel tape a pretty good one for
exercising talk-off issues in things like 2280Hz and 2600Hz signalling
tone detectors.

The detection performance of DTMF detectors is usually quoted by their
performance against the other data Mitel provided - a set of DTMF digits
with various distortions of level, frequency and noise component. I took
the spec for that data, and built a test suite which synthesises the
relevant signals more precisely than the recordings on the Mitel tape. I
encourage anyone interested in DTMF to make use of that work.

Regards,
Steve