Re: [codec] #8: Sample rates? 44.1kHz?

Koen Vos <koen.vos@skype.net> Fri, 16 April 2010 06:35 UTC

Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 23:35:31 -0700
From: Koen Vos <koen.vos@skype.net>
To: Christian Hoene <hoene@uni-tuebingen.de>
Cc: codec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [codec] #8: Sample rates? 44.1kHz?

Quoting Christian Hoene:
> Supporting 44.1 kHz would require fractions of time stamp units

It would be better to base the RTP time stamp on a fixed sampling
rate, independent of the sampling rates used at the API level and
internally.  The reason is that the API and internal sampling rates
may change at any time.  My proposal would be to count RTP time stamps
at 48 kHz always.

>> It might be useful to state that it is not recommended to use 44100
>> Hz because the conversion is computational more demanding

Not sure I see the need..  The CPU cost of resampling is negligible on
many devices (certainly on PCs).  And if all other elements in the
chain run at 44.1 kHz, then supporting it in the codec API could
actually reduce the number of resamplers.

best,
koen.