Re: [dane] Manipulation of DNSSEC by US government possible? (was Re: Comments on draft-wouters-dane-openpgp-02)

Rene Bartsch <ietf@bartschnet.de> Wed, 30 July 2014 10:15 UTC

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 12:15:08 +0200
From: Rene Bartsch <ietf@bartschnet.de>
To: dane@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dane] Manipulation of DNSSEC by US government possible? (was Re: Comments on draft-wouters-dane-openpgp-02)

Two years ago I would have thought the same. But today we are far beyond
conspiracy theories. We are facing the biggest coordinated hacker attack
in history of the internet. After what we've learned in the last year
the US government has abused the trust of billions of internet users to
gain control over the internet. We have no clue what other governments
and intelligence angencies have done or might do. The former director of
the austrian intelligence agency expects a lot of new disclosures in the
next half year. Internet users worldwide are furious about the
situation.

If we sell DANE as magic bullet without mentioning the trust anchor can
manipulate the whole DNSSEC system and who the trust anchor is users
will trust DANE blindly. If the trust anchor abuses control over DNSSEC
this will blow up right into our face and harm the reputation of the
IETF.

In my opinion we should mention the identity of the DNSSEC trust anchor
in security considerations and we should mention the DNSSEC trust anchor
has the possibility to manipulate the whole DNSSEC system.

Regards,

Renne