RE: [dhcwg] DHCP Option for CableLabs Client Configuration

Paul Duffy <paduffy@cisco.com> Fri, 02 August 2002 20:11 UTC

Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 16:09:52 -0400
To: "Cosmo, Patrick" <Patrick@incognito.com>
From: Paul Duffy <paduffy@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] DHCP Option for CableLabs Client Configuration
Cc: Erik Nordmark <Erik.Nordmark@sun.com>, Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>, 'Ralph Droms' <rdroms@cisco.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org, nrussell@cisco.com, pgrossma@cisco.com, Matt Osman <M.Osman@cablelabs.com>
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Thanks Patrick...inline...

At 12:44 PM 8/2/2002 -0700, Cosmo, Patrick wrote:

>Is the argument that DHCP needs to be used to configure non-standard DNS
>ports because DHCP occurs at the initial stages of provisioning?

Yes

>That SNMP and/or the MTA configuration file cannot be used to configure
>non-standard DNS ports because SNMP occurs too late in the provisioning
>process and/or the config file is downloaded to late in the provisioning
>process (meaning that DNS may required in order to be able to perform SNMP
>or to download the configuration file)?

Exactly

>Is the argument for sub-options 1/2 that you need to be able to configure
>one DHCP service such that it will respond to MTA DHCP traffic, but will
>tell those MTAs to use some other DHCP service (in effect "redirect" the
>MTA to another DHCP)?

No.  The access provider's DHCP server sends a list of legal telephony DHCP
server addresses (CCC sub options 1/2) to the CM.  The CM passes this list
to the MTA  (both devices live in the same physical box).  The MTA does a
normal discover, but uses the list to restrict the set of DHCP servers from
which it will accept DHCP responses.  See section 7
http://www.packetcable.com/specs/PKT-SP-PROV-I03-011221.pdf

<key issue>
You have an access provider who has tight control over its DHCP/DNS
infrastructure.  The access provider is permitting other business entities
to layer services atop its network.  The access provider will have less
control over the service provider's infrastructure.
</key issue>

The 1/2 mechanism explicitly scopes specific devices to specific service
provider's infrastructure.  It also offers some what more protection from
the hacker who is trying to setup a bogus DHCP server behind his cable
modem, potentially bringing down the phones.  Not good if your house is
burning down and you need to call the fire department.