RE: [dhcwg] DHCP Option for CableLabs Client Configuration

Ryan Scripps <suburbandriver@yahoo.com> Fri, 09 August 2002 17:07 UTC

Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 08:59:01 -0700
From: Ryan Scripps <suburbandriver@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] DHCP Option for CableLabs Client Configuration
To: "Woundy, Richard" <RWoundy@broadband.att.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org
Cc: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, 'Erik Nordmark' <Erik.Nordmark@sun.com>, Matt Osman <M.Osman@cablelabs.com>, "Woundy, Richard" <RWoundy@broadband.att.com>
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

(My first mail to this group.)

After following this discussion for some time, I have
a few opinions.  First, if there is a need to run DNS
in a manner that differs from the current RFC for DNS
then it should be addressed as a DNS issue.  DHCP
serves to enable hosts to operate on a network and
should support the standards for the services that
DHCP servers are expected to "tell" their clients
about.

In regard to altering the DNS standard, I feel that
there are plenty of administrative options available
in the current implementation to support alternative
name queries.  (Create a new namespace and assign it
to the VoIP administrators.)  I have not read much on
QoS so I could be way off base here, but perhaps DNS
packets could be tagged with a higher priority when
coming from a VoIP endpoint or other critical systems.
 A solution thazt falls within the current standrds is
certainly preferable to creating a new standard.

Care should be taken when creating a standard specific
to a specific implmentation.  At the very least
condsideration should be made as to the portability of
this change to other vendor's systems.

Ryan Scripps
RyanScripps@alumni.utexas.net

--- "Woundy, Richard" <RWoundy@broadband.att.com>