Re: [dhcwg] Options in base doc for DHCPv6

Vijay Bhaskar A K <vijayak@india.hp.com> Wed, 23 January 2002 18:13 UTC

From: Vijay Bhaskar A K <vijayak@india.hp.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Options in base doc for DHCPv6
To: rdroms@cisco.com
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:29:51 +0530
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

> We've recently experienced a proliferation of proposed and defined options
> for DHCPv6.  Initially, the WG agreed to publish all options that were
> defined at the time the base spec was completed in the same doc.  I'm
> having second thoughts about that decision.  Here's what I'm thinking:
>
> * The new options are adding more weight to
>    an already hefty document
> * Keeping all the options in one doc make
>    updating any one option more complicated
> * Reviewing all of these options will slow
>    down the acceptance process

The basic use of DHCPv6 is not only allocating IP addresses but also for
giving other configuration parameters also.  Most of the OS are IPv6fied
and almost all the applications are IPv6 enabled.  The hosts need DHCPv6
to provide  options  for  getting the info about the  servers  providing
various  services  available  to them.  This will  make the host work as
fullfledged  IPv6fied  node.  If your  concern is about delay in getting
the PS, i worry that, it will take another year to get all those options
in the  options  draft  and  making  it PS.  I feel  that we can add the
options  in the base  spec  which  are  already  requested  to be added,
because we really  need them.  I dont agree that  review of the  options
will take much time, since including the options  doesn't  involve major
design  change and most of the  options are already  known in DHCPv4 and
most of the options follow the similar pattern.

____Vijay_Bhaskar_A_K____
______Inet_Services______
______Ph:_2051424________
____Telnet:_847_1424_____