Re: [DNSOP] Interim DNSOP WG meeting on Special Use Names: some reading material

manning <bmanning@karoshi.com> Fri, 08 May 2015 23:51 UTC

From: manning <bmanning@karoshi.com>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 16:50:58 -0700
To: Bob Harold <rharolde@umich.edu>
Cc: Suzanne Woolf <suzworldwide@gmail.com>, "Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood@cable.comcast.com>, "dnsop@ietf.org" <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Interim DNSOP WG meeting on Special Use Names: some reading material

registering something in a registry does not prevent someone from using it.  it suggests that there is already a use for the string.
it does not matter if that is an IANA registry or the registry that is the DNS.    There are -LOTS- of registries for strings.  A classic case
was Bell Northern Research and Burlington Northern Railroad.    Bell registered BNR.com and was challanged (successfully) by
Burlington over the domain name, since the railroad predated the telecom lab.

Will the Special Names Registry be used for legal challenges?

manning
bmanning@karoshi.com
PO Box 12317
Marina del Rey, CA 90295