Re: [DNSOP] WGLC: "Considerations for the use of DNS Reverse Mapping"

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <jinmei@wide.ad.jp> Fri, 04 April 2008 02:25 UTC

Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 19:25:53 -0700
From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <jinmei@wide.ad.jp>
To: Brian Dickson <briand@ca.afilias.info>
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org, Andrew Sullivan <ajs@commandprompt.com>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] WGLC: "Considerations for the use of DNS Reverse Mapping"
Sender: dnsop-bounces@ietf.org

(My first attempt was moderated due to from address mismatch, so I'm
resending it fixing the address.  Sorry for the duplicate)

Hello,

Sorry for the long delay.  I've been overwhelmed by some other things...

At Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:46:57 -0400,
Brian Dickson <briand@ca.afilias.info> wrote:

> > As a meta (and most substantial) level, this version still doesn't
> > answer the fundamental question I asked a year ago: "why *should* one
> > provide reverse mappings for all IP addresses they manage? (despite
> > the cost of the provision)?".
>
> I'd like to get a better understanding of your concern.
> Is it that you don't understand why one should, or that the document
> doesn't include the answer itself?

I guess it's both, but the more important point in this context for me
is the latter.

> In other words, if someone on the list answers the question, without
> that changing the document,
> would you then support it based on your new-found understanding?

You probably mean whether the main point is the former, and if so, I'm
afraid I wouldn't.  I'd first like to be convinced about why one
should, and (since I don't think it's well described in the current
document) I'd then like the draft to reflect it.

I'm now planning to respond to your other points, but before doing so
please let me jump to one specific point.  That might make the other
things marginal.