[Emailcore] Re: [Last-Call] Re: Your (Roman's) DISCUSS on draft-ietf-emailcore-as and status of the document

John Levine <johnl@ietf.email> Sun, 20 September 2026 19:41 UTC

Received: from gal.iecc.com (gal.iecc.com [IPv6:2001:470:1f07:1126:0:43:6f73:7461]) (using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits) key-exchange x25519 server-signature ECDSA (prime256v1) server-digest SHA256) (No client certificate requested) by mx.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id E1EC330 for <emailcore@ietf.org>; Sun, 20 Sep 2026 19:41:13 +0000 (UTC)
Authentication-Results: mx.ietf.org; dkim=pass header.d=iecc.com header.s=100656ab036d1.k2609 header.b=V5beucRs; dkim=pass header.d=ietf.email header.s=100656ab036d1.k2609 header.b=Tng5itYj; dmarc=pass (policy=none) header.from=ietf.email; spf=pass (mx.ietf.org: domain of johnl@iecc.com designates 2001:470:1f07:1126:0:43:6f73:7461 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=johnl@iecc.com
Received: (qmail 65639 invoked from network); 20 Sep 2026 19:41:05 -0000
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed; d=iecc.com; h=date:message-id:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:references:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:cleverness; s=100656ab036d1.k2609; t=1789933255; x=1790278855; bh=gMbbY7ap5ecT5FOuRnqup5Hn8MEU3IYBPvStFbqXLsk=; b=V5beucRsavP4jYvqZONVDmSM0yzefA7SMW/gfeX7DCHQBNF9rXTTcKDm8XdO3n524F9MqJxhe/K9xDarqqGHuvfbRSX5pf523qY9goeGgddubZRu+dd2VDiWdckKBgQibKe70HQvwcTL8BequfSL8a8lLlug+scB/FPd0IoOCtx5m6JYtUUU4xMNNp0cGjgL1o38V8Xiffbd6b48eakvKfO1KPIYtF1nEPDvwrsIgnod/GVLzx1pUjtyKhr2F7lyebruQGE8VHrqI1QmUOHb41uqACKeL2h3hFhhoN1ElenBHEFsF0Ugy8pis5QM1cZtpCxGtVc0o6FDq3WoSNnLVw==
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed; d=ietf.email; h=date:message-id:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:references:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:cleverness; s=100656ab036d1.k2609; bh=gMbbY7ap5ecT5FOuRnqup5Hn8MEU3IYBPvStFbqXLsk=; b=Tng5itYj6zveHcNYz3tsWh4c7PwC7NVdjJXoQMC7gSvDtWUtnDKV/pT0IDp0oTTPsqBmGotaIWFqatLKS7sNoR3PguJcJm95G+HCTQ5f9ZjS511uceXdpUJpHvrh0dMPUp3lpQyp7EFjsEaxLBY7MIkjEVd1jEJbftVxvbg7K5BjYFjcdQAh0d/mbCrDjbknpbphQJmI2kr1ZN8HcFgXbPebunhBoMF4oECf3X256JhJm/auV4PIRC8XXNjNQLRrU/O8Bbrtc8CYAB8g3qhoHMUqNVVvKujBwq7c1lx7PiYejYFdoG5h6bGlwAMUpP7WhizdoF/btFWG+7gGEyk4Kw==
Received: from ary.qy ([IPv6:2001:470:1f07:1126:0:78:696d:6170]) by imap.iecc.com ([IPv6:2001:470:1f07:1126:0:78:696d:6170]) with ESMTPS (TLS1.3 ECDHE-RSA CHACHA20-POLY1305 AEAD) via TCP6; 20 Sep 2026 19:41:05 -0000
Received: by ary.qy (Postfix, from userid 501) id BDCDC12073125; Sun, 20 Sep 2026 15:41:04 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2026 15:41:04 -0400
Message-Id: <20260920194104.BDCDC12073125@ary.qy>
From: John Levine <johnl@ietf.email>
To: emailcore@ietf.org, last-call@ietf.org
In-Reply-To: <arAkw7pDK7JPFjTT@chardros.imrryr.org>
Organization: Taughannock Networks
References: <CAChr6SzV8Vsur5T5uaCry0ZxrJT9n54ia2dCwsqP8U8K+gQhBw@mail.gmail.com> <0786af40-4c4a-4670-a71e-eeed0596c7d8@lear.ch> <arADNYbear-_QgRh@chardros.imrryr.org> <1FE6D8319E6156C7A0044D7E@PSB> <arAkw7pDK7JPFjTT@chardros.imrryr.org>
X-Headerized: yes
Cleverness: minimal
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit
X-Spamd-Bar: ---
Message-ID-Hash: 5DFQF7TW57MKO3H7GVZC6R5F2ZB47QGC
X-Message-ID-Hash: 5DFQF7TW57MKO3H7GVZC6R5F2ZB47QGC
X-MailFrom: johnl@iecc.com
X-Mailman-Rule-Misses: dmarc-mitigation; no-senders; approved; loop; banned-address; emergency; member-moderation; nonmember-moderation; administrivia; implicit-dest; max-recipients; max-size; news-moderation; no-subject; digests; suspicious-header
X-Mailman-Version: 3.3.10
Precedence: list
Subject: [Emailcore] Re: [Last-Call] Re: Your (Roman's) DISCUSS on draft-ietf-emailcore-as and status of the document
List-Id: EMAILCORE proposed working group list <emailcore.ietf.org>
Archived-At: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/emailcore/Id74fXT3Li5WJekiXOUIY9LeZyw>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/emailcore>
List-Help: <mailto:emailcore-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Owner: <mailto:emailcore-owner@ietf.org>
List-Post: <mailto:emailcore@ietf.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:emailcore-join@ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:emailcore-leave@ietf.org>

It appears that Viktor Dukhovni  <emailcore@ietf.org> said:
>> Ok.  But what does it mean _for the document_ to "concede" that?
>
>In reality nothing.  Just full disclosure in reaction to Elliot's
>"I known of nobody who does".  I've run into some who do.  But I
>don't see a reason to change the document.

I believe Viktor but I also see no reason to believe that they handle
mail for anyone but themselves.

As we might have noted a few hundred times we have talked to a lot of
large mail operators and their uniform response to the suggestion that
they refuse unencrypted mail can be summarized as "no, that would be stupid."

I really wish people would stop pretending otherwise.

R's,
John