[Emailcore] Re: [Last-Call] draft-ietf-emailcore-as some mail stats

Rob Sayre <sayrer@gmail.com> Fri, 02 October 2026 23:52 UTC

Received: from mail-pz2-x10.google.com (mail-pz2-x10.google.com [IPv6:2607:f8b0:4864:3b::10]) (using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits) key-exchange x25519 server-signature ECDSA (prime256v1) server-digest SHA256) (No client certificate requested) by mx.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 702E142 for <emailcore@ietf.org>; Fri, 02 Oct 2026 23:52:53 +0000 (UTC)
Authentication-Results: mx.ietf.org; dkim=pass header.d=gmail.com header.s=20251104 header.b=Lj7WAF8X; spf=pass (mx.ietf.org: domain of sayrer@gmail.com designates 2607:f8b0:4864:3b::10 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=sayrer@gmail.com; dmarc=pass (policy=none) header.from=gmail.com; arc=pass ("google.com:s=arc-20260327:i=1")
Received: by mail-pz2-x10.google.com with SMTP id 41be03b00d2f7-cc4aa0f1a94so38090a12.2 for <emailcore@ietf.org>; Fri, 02 Oct 2026 16:52:53 -0700 (PDT)
ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1790985172; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20260327; b=RtkmBdODkayb9JjED3an6VWo9kDN8UyNFbwkOjXNrM6Iphr8/PwFn7Oq6GavQWY6ZC 4rp3OA2+dNM+noI1pSdzyo4xDBRNCQZ8dXSzmKnQwLvx7mzJUhC9EJilnmxOicuRgNdt OV6QTDlKndbRXjLy/F3VWIGyMHtWkjDQe1Mc17CiHmpoiCP9cYQ/F+JhZjDjQHVceGRx IE+7+VduA3Pcay/FLY4GKZtkcJPRlIf8m3mCixKErtn78EYy2TpPpxpXZATIhyZmt6B3 Ihq8oLUiFvlyL+GW5+AhVp6kEEzoSAvkPQtYziygDob9dh7YC2uUVMJAEXE13mO+/Scm A1dQ==
ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20260327; h=cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from:in-reply-to:references :mime-version:dkim-signature; bh=I+PXuwX2SOITw1Yi5Jpo3cwmfQ82rzrgWernD5lyBrg=; fh=mflX6ts1P1GS8t/ubxFlGSbgIW3aV0hSzaquYflQJUg=; b=HR179wt4tgq2Gv9XlSRcYvRnNmKEzwqWNo5/BINxLUA8xmLvUJFqZirWxV1/AE5ahu MHwyw2UdYUuew/XMJUdCGv3ZfxuZK5dr/QGAEh0XhmSApQru94t6LOaVwTXekh1Ua3ho k8XlKE3Z7vK6UgMGwrAuOnQoM0fyY7slUNz8cAI9xq8J+rYVWTMwjD75TyuGdheUE9GJ kaJ8mJW2yj7ypWLYNPYLIoziF4UfwhjfnNX1CqcG04Cp2wVdGpFvdyYN/3SQNOfnowWs KAK0tFmfJPQ9H8TfdXI7p3AOI4LNNZntK/Sg2hE0PCPxAlBiBcO+0oa5ofbqbgD4y2Ss I1fg==; darn=ietf.org
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.google.com; arc=none
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20251104; t=1790985172; x=1791589972; darn=ietf.org; h=content-type:cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from:in-reply-to :references:mime-version:from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id:reply-to :content-type; bh=I+PXuwX2SOITw1Yi5Jpo3cwmfQ82rzrgWernD5lyBrg=; b=Lj7WAF8XgARcK0ouISiZlQup4YU8oGS4TFVJiE0SKsLJ2l3/1nnu2RMV7jItFPhScO mGKqfncR9SMvtIvUzxbqkCtWJvol6+PzVnK10JJczFwn3Sxaod/xPXm+R//llknvLRKz rdteBIOA5OtVK92Qus/wYBzABWJNhezlXdFSENs7ScTV3L/mx/pJVOXHLdj5xqKdjhwz /yWAkMYeUuPRD40xa75Y+t0eoVgP4M1TWdu8uGiNqdGz3BPzZZP0KN+ExkG603qW6yiy i9fKU9k5BDHXGWPeiTfDc4BvViG8RQ1vsnxY+AM9enqCLlG+uHPv8TcTrDyZwMLFTnWr 714g==
X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=1e100.net; s=20260707; t=1790985172; x=1791589972; h=content-type:cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from:in-reply-to :references:mime-version:x-gm-gg:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc :subject:date:message-id:reply-to:content-type; bh=I+PXuwX2SOITw1Yi5Jpo3cwmfQ82rzrgWernD5lyBrg=; b=N1Ztrld2Ud6BLqAF9B44VdPJ4P5WKDbssd0K15HBF5nGEDS+tB3/OmTQdRSjn9lKqh 0Ceg0iUiz2nCtr+k5/9alTnIxlrspuoknfxY5h2kHe3L1ljD7+gyOuFm+45iIEzGxRel t8ASwwXVc5tzeJvOmyEop7sR2pDsbmISEj6rN5zu0a49mCxM/ZG/iayNzEcQhE4mvyc+ 6bY2M9C0Gw6Y1Wi8qte3ETitNfydhck9H5kmoKhcVoZ1OipxSzc8NgJmEc+8pdZvkjLp T0S6cmJozggrG/PlvWNSIUb/f0doKpG+0ZlRfQZfU5+4SrgETaM0XfO7Ke/hJ6P0fnbG 06YQ==
X-Gm-Message-State: AFq9FYLnoGZg1p0shMIJNYOvJu77TW8Km38QEqEsqGnNOyONLI1XmGcl A8OLt7WnftkJlSm+l9OFNYsT6tn1im/2X+og+gg8ZsDiFRYw8u5EtRKKz27vrLTnEMWcX+vaNrq ochP6+ouBpC8UVQ9HaVSzdoK0nJJ80p7fDg==
X-Gm-Gg: AYBFou3CSAuYsy5Z8zFnbIbUkKiBMn5bia8eA1A2fRYOl2DKF+x+zAqhCu/qni7Js8o zjJ/zlYZw0hYTzynwvhAqIIfJ51z/AF6BQRt9u9z6gdjiwnd6fEC2HdxG7fUTq2yTHFpKsbOChL DTjnM8dOx8eTT3mjhcKIOCAoeToeHyN1xBxr0Sjlhsat8V/aOXCnvD8dXnwODklAj9ijguKboUd dvcJ+sD4nWWqrPZozceFrb6WF/y1fL/e3oS8ukjGKJfkv9VYhZ0jdBMO6lVUzvZtEFQ2/QM537Q yWg/g3DEAkEP8uouKAYwWsh0+/ABeD2nWB1TJstZnh6zIN346JHVCYsGDKSMnmnBXT+FOyPG+20 UyKvTCi+RGSBv
X-Received: by 2002:a17:90b:5410:b0:3a4:e234:111c with SMTP id 98e67ed59e1d1-3a6ce993811mr3399138a91.66.1790985172061; Fri, 02 Oct 2026 16:52:52 -0700 (PDT)
MIME-Version: 1.0
References: <CAChr6SzG3bunzDBeyaB0DVk60P1dLUc+yrJ313WS7KOrtjGTYQ@mail.gmail.com> <D7DC690B-C86C-4DB0-ADD5-732555860D4C@episteme.net> <CAChr6SyLVqkePnE6AzEqJV_7zuOMzcqCu-ao5Orhtp3z=tRWkQ@mail.gmail.com> <771BE440-3112-433E-8DD4-75A93171231C@episteme.net>
In-Reply-To: <771BE440-3112-433E-8DD4-75A93171231C@episteme.net>
From: Rob Sayre <sayrer@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2026 16:52:40 -0700
X-Gm-Features: AclHuK_2itk-qBLWRUgOjXb3wf29rqBQT7YkS2SVA8aghEF6ATIBMhMFhNdfQZs
Message-ID: <CAChr6SyqXbsO3Org8iRJxHwE6K_OyReBtn060QHaa6b2sRBwAw@mail.gmail.com>
To: Pete Resnick <resnick@episteme.net>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="000000000000fa958d065ce43a32"
X-Spamd-Bar: -----
Message-ID-Hash: OQ22WVEMRYB6OVVWMI6SM7MXSX6T64QA
X-Message-ID-Hash: OQ22WVEMRYB6OVVWMI6SM7MXSX6T64QA
X-MailFrom: sayrer@gmail.com
X-Mailman-Rule-Misses: dmarc-mitigation; no-senders; approved; loop; banned-address; emergency; member-moderation; nonmember-moderation; administrivia; implicit-dest; max-recipients; max-size; news-moderation; no-subject; digests; suspicious-header
CC: EmailCore WG <emailcore@ietf.org>
X-Mailman-Version: 3.3.10
Precedence: list
Subject: [Emailcore] Re: [Last-Call] draft-ietf-emailcore-as some mail stats
List-Id: EMAILCORE proposed working group list <emailcore.ietf.org>
Archived-At: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/emailcore/YZEXy2ZWt_NuLIEATMLCY8fS0Js>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/emailcore>
List-Help: <mailto:emailcore-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Owner: <mailto:emailcore-owner@ietf.org>
List-Post: <mailto:emailcore@ietf.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:emailcore-join@ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:emailcore-leave@ietf.org>

On Fri, Oct 2, 2026 at 4:42 PM Pete Resnick <resnick@episteme.net> wrote:

> On 2 Oct 2026, at 15:11, Rob Sayre wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 2, 2026 at 11:34 AM Pete Resnick <resnick@episteme.net>
> wrote:
> >
> >> On 2 Oct 2026, at 11:30, Rob Sayre wrote:
> >>
> >>> Just drop the third paragraph.
> >>
> >> No, for the reasons Viktor has explained best (IMO) multiple times, the
> latest of which in
> https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/emailcore/vhhv5S2C60tIRVESAzBs7IBJdCc
> to which I have not seen any reply.
> >
> > I don't think you can read 5321bis and this document and come away
> without a clear view of the concern he highlights.
>
> I completely agree with that, but perhaps I'm missing the point.
>

That you can still get there without the last paragraph in 6.5 containing
the MUST.


>
> > In particular, "If you want to delete the required cleartext support,
> you'll need to delete all of section 6.5," doesn't seem like a reasonable
> position to take. The issue the MUST implement insecure modes, not the rest
> of it.
>
> You didn't respond to his point at all: Deleting it would skew the
> applicability statement to imply that support for cleartext is no longer
> required for interoperability purposes. Why do you think we should not call
> out that requirement?
>

In many cases, it isn't required. Or, TLS is required (GDPR etc). That's
not true for big providers, like GMail or Fastmail, they still have to do
it.

The problem with the current text is that it licenses future insecure
products. The backward compatibility concern I understand, and I believe
5321bis covers that well.

thanks,
Rob