[Emailcore] Re: [Last-Call] Re: Re: Your (Roman's) DISCUSS on draft-ietf-emailcore-as and status of the document

Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com> Fri, 25 September 2026 12:48 UTC

Received: from fhigh-a4-smtp.messagingengine.com (fhigh-a4-smtp.messagingengine.com [103.168.172.155]) (using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits) key-exchange x25519 server-signature ECDSA (prime256v1) server-digest SHA256) (No client certificate requested) by mx.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 229C931; Fri, 25 Sep 2026 12:48:26 +0000 (UTC)
Authentication-Results: mx.ietf.org; dkim=pass header.d=fugue.com header.s=fm2 header.b=TqVuedVt; dkim=pass header.d=messagingengine.com header.s=fm1 header.b=W8DbhD+9; dmarc=pass (policy=none) header.from=fugue.com; spf=pass (mx.ietf.org: domain of mellon@fugue.com designates 103.168.172.155 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=mellon@fugue.com
Received: from phl-compute-03.internal (phl-compute-03.internal [10.202.2.43]) by mailfhigh.phl.internal (Postfix) with ESMTP id D8A631400096; Fri, 25 Sep 2026 08:48:25 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from phl-frontend-03 ([10.202.2.162]) by phl-compute-03.internal (MEProxy); Fri, 25 Sep 2026 08:48:25 -0400
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=fugue.com; h=cc :cc:content-type:content-type:date:date:from:from:in-reply-to :in-reply-to:message-id:mime-version:references:reply-to:subject :subject:to:to; s=fm2; t=1790340505; x=1790426905; bh=55weSqjIkh Fs0WdJsEKDcNhIHVw8lax4ANXe1cb9Lqs=; b=TqVuedVtir/HrmgaW/3oLW+Rth 6qKZSkMzi+BY1+kkTcRqssMd3K935sR/OzeiO1nekzps2wwthhsf4i9wovjwd7r9 8UsDqKfflKfOVOHo22PeNbQI5uFIqmUmfte7T2iCXvD7Aqx+5Yz+CBGRRVnIHf/b SffTx1ZnuEL2dlqxQA7xBFbxgrSBrD6IIYj2IxvbwoRC/z4DzFyP3A/VsNkTJAe4 WfPb1nsU1r/SSWPSXe2vygZIQx8ahccNjUfI9WVVwO8jlZXvao1NJj9VA6Y9BmpX +omVSRo7Z8LqeF0emPy4JEvDRUdEzVzyEehhJRe3gCxC5MAeHnaCxWcw1bSQ==
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d= messagingengine.com; h=cc:cc:content-type:content-type:date:date :feedback-id:feedback-id:from:from:in-reply-to:in-reply-to :message-id:mime-version:references:reply-to:subject:subject:to :to:x-me-proxy:x-me-sender:x-me-sender:x-sasl-enc; s=fm1; t= 1790340505; x=1790426905; bh=55weSqjIkhFs0WdJsEKDcNhIHVw8lax4ANX e1cb9Lqs=; b=W8DbhD+9RmjMoqA4dpPkjscaseDA5yw/BvAxPlgPoenS+eDF7A/ 3wAVEgM1v2kx6qIxMEBsvvfqgQCWQCiOFtX+3J4Trtmd3SSFlD+fcdROLqSdUG6b SpKrFDhXE/x04fo737kCXH+MkAa6+NC0vb6Tz7f03W/HXNG7CKfrG4WN6RWpCySx CaowvHimvm8LWrL4bl2JSUE3kfaok/rJcN2z4AiSBgY7sDgcCULcIWr01LZYpKXd BDl9PAtrbhImVHlisd/dCEb5FQMlVfie2xE9TNFUt9q7NnOB0ceuIXm3n8osfzzP cj/pmfK8q1bA3GwwrsTdJh5+Tffqldhomzw==
X-ME-Sender: <xms:mW22aoJFN28QuF-rl8NQfhJAcrVXCYCZJmld2UTanoFZdZn-hJB7uw> <xme:mW22ajGDA2I62OBLDJ9onNsxkPP8LgiAkZwO_chMEZSKcQf2zY4bVqeb6Oa1lYWG8 0SSh5GTN1uYTBHCku6EIVqwKnTZ3Ou5Y3VQwtIR6Q7QedKiyLxtgw>
X-ME-Received: <xmr:mW22antYkWANxMho13T5SQOga7ySzoMMx0dnSeduXH1yF7EW5RbB1m9YxVBSbhUdepzmbuEdN9OqviNIsQGJEYhTS7xQOoERnYUsnoTG>
X-ME-Proxy-Cause: dmFkZTGwnntEli9Frkouc6B9CMxfV/x07RvU1mxegnMCVMtbNlXgBfBIV4WMdzyjC3NgXg iL0xOuiwp1OmoSE01XaOEmHwptHpWGX6hCHjPoARGseENo/EO62mlC8qUrqBBNqy55UNjh D8Iz4yFQD1UdbUbLQ3CtR+7+OZNI2dc4/frCP0i7B/KQ1RN/z+xisW2KwM8JoqXLV29iDK d2fgkV1hd9ofxJLFb4xS/Tw53dLWS91LbAbXSe034m0fWqDzPk0Gh1UYBnfX4MyC8Vf9lp UhflSzQpn84lpAoJwUFm+PiL1xuCusXzSL/YS6i1IUsjgkrjjgstIoRi3643+676g93Laz qjDX+6gxGd3ZF2za4EA2tNIY8e8lUcSa7mfx2gR0eC5Zn244m5rhtJ8IcAt89Rf5XV0LwM wvplXPS02LEGqFumXGjdW4lKYv+J5zX5rCnyscSOaeM0mTIhvqLh7ow3EBInaqEXleXbLz NPOjy9LZK3EzZzMMDegD6UcCJcAwRysQ3SKh1N7Z4uNx6egnFNBN5nRjqV4Q7MI6BMK0U8 Vq4kc2l0EauO5RHKoFlhvpiixdjUUj9rE59FrqF0fhocc/63IQm9eF0Joqa2jTrFjx+y8t Rtpqk3dcJWB4y4AdVis38EhWYMQQyP4gJ8/4LdZWAy025znGLafWgzQysxdA
X-ME-Proxy: <xmx:mW22aqsyk-1qTwl8jUO9wvrA1P0gXBflpIE9QfGFoRpXAOeHEj6NmQ> <xmx:mW22atAQGlK_uj2zoUWIOmwA7mwpogV3DX5bCvE2ORRlNRjzuXC1BA> <xmx:mW22asN2o85LrCN0XHdh_zsf5PBA1jbO89areeUhe0LLeS-PPk6guw> <xmx:mW22amyXxbX-Ts_tKxRbW95v9JaWuZ4FBVrtamodWj8GcWntKp5eCg> <xmx:mW22agUylz1QEr_IT6kVNFWg5o740FetYwSPlKlgySdJ9DZULYsM7v4d>
Feedback-ID: i1136489e:Fastmail
Received: by mail.messagingengine.com (Postfix) with ESMTPA; Fri, 25 Sep 2026 08:48:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
Message-Id: <15046516-E4F4-47C2-AD67-BF7CD96B2071@fugue.com>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="Apple-Mail=_B14A87DF-129B-4EA7-A74D-E51779E4BD85"
Mime-Version: 1.0 (Mac OS X Mail 16.0 \(3901.200.54\))
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2026 14:48:11 +0200
In-Reply-To: <1f165d68-3896-4087-bbdc-8989eb17096b@lear.ch>
To: Eliot Lear <lear@lear.ch>
References: <CALtcm6SX-Y3WdGsczvqcBsAGHHxExia6J4dzj4kOZKEt+xnk0w@mail.gmail.com> <CAChr6Sz+yRaC1cH0LEiRkV5V=mcXmEVeHT4Ff3QakowqmhZx3A@mail.gmail.com> <8d7840b5-0e2d-4d57-98e5-af12e93787f2@lear.ch> <CAL02cgRsWNy4RJ+xokdy3EOHGPYqP6nC1AX_dEnOvA5KXQiTCA@mail.gmail.com> <e4dccdcb-b450-4c38-9548-d4b3e66d71dc@lear.ch> <DM4PR11MB5469AEDF89A4E0CB9FFBF7EDB5822@DM4PR11MB5469.namprd11.prod.outlook.com> <CAChr6SxmXz86Uec2mcaKhVaJAnktsX2M82nFaOtQWDkO8B7b7w@mail.gmail.com> <CH2PR17MB4022DFB345DC70AE8AC3B2E8CD822@CH2PR17MB4022.namprd17.prod.outlook.com> <arSrUojV6EAxyhlp@chardros.imrryr.org> <57f5b5ce-0d19-4976-bba0-351b59989af8@huitema.net> <3757d6c6-5b82-9182-3b50-163a522fb40e@ietf.email> <139BC44B9F223591EA1C1B31@PSB> <216BFDF8-0F06-4F96-8A51-493ACA40A7B8@fugue.com> <93783B789FDC604D9C453932@PSB> <0b66b58f-9e69-4b4e-a942-76999ece6c47@app.fastmail.com> <CAKHUCzyPrB_tNCwKOgQAipR=otx_v0dECO2yCb4xgRo_SOtN4A@mail.gmail.com> <3F7280E0-08A9-45F5-B093-CF6355537083@fugue.com> <1f165d68-3896-4087-bbdc-8989eb17096b@lear.ch>
X-Mailer: Apple Mail (2.3901.200.54)
X-Spamd-Bar: -
Message-ID-Hash: ABVJFM3ALI4HAF3ZT3IHMWBNEZSSPSRW
X-Message-ID-Hash: ABVJFM3ALI4HAF3ZT3IHMWBNEZSSPSRW
X-MailFrom: mellon@fugue.com
X-Mailman-Rule-Misses: dmarc-mitigation; no-senders; approved; loop; banned-address; emergency; member-moderation; nonmember-moderation; administrivia; implicit-dest; max-recipients; max-size; news-moderation; no-subject; digests; suspicious-header
CC: Dave Cridland <dave@cridland.net>, John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>, John R Levine <johnl@ietf.email>, Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net>, Last Call <last-call@ietf.org>, emailcore@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 3.3.10
Precedence: list
Subject: [Emailcore] Re: [Last-Call] Re: Re: Your (Roman's) DISCUSS on draft-ietf-emailcore-as and status of the document
List-Id: EMAILCORE proposed working group list <emailcore.ietf.org>
Archived-At: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/emailcore/M95cYXAmpTHkz0wrKkscGE7ABEg>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/emailcore>
List-Help: <mailto:emailcore-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Owner: <mailto:emailcore-owner@ietf.org>
List-Post: <mailto:emailcore@ietf.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:emailcore-join@ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:emailcore-leave@ietf.org>

On 25 Sep 2026, at 14:14, Eliot Lear <lear@lear.ch> wrote:
> That's non-responsive to Dave's point.  He asked a very specific question.

He asked if I would be okay with a change that resulted in me not being able to depend on getting email from my employer. I was pointing out that that is the current situation.
> It'd be a weak signal indeed.  Do you think the user who sent you mail would be in any position to make a change?
> 
Well, if I send email and get a bounce back saying that my mail agent isn't behaving correctly, I'm certainly going to report it, at least the first few times. And if I'm the CEO, I'm probably going to get listened to. So in fact I think this is a useful signal. But if it doesn't get paid attention to, we aren't substantially worse off—we'll just communicate some other way, as is already often the case.
> Most people here have little control over how their email is handled.  I'd be curious if ANYONE here has turned off receipt of unencrypted receipt in SMTP.  Anyone?  Bueller...  
> 
I don't think Fastmail offers this as a feature, unfortunately. If I were still running my own SMTP server, I would definitely turn it off, and I'd also disable delivery of unencrypted SMTP. To be clear, I'd want to be able to allow-list certain senders, and I'd want to be able to turn it back on on demand, because a lot of sites use email for 2fa, and I don't know if they send their codes using STARTTLS.

But as I mentioned, I'm not normal. And I live in a place where the government communicates with me through apps, whether I want that or not. So reliable email is something I wish I had, rather than something I'd desperately try to approximate, despite the impossibility of actually doing so.

You might sense a contradiction here: why am I paying fastmail for email service when I have so little faith in it? It's because it's still useful for some things, e.g. IETF communication. Here I don't care about confidentiality, and if email doesn't get delivered, it's not great, but it _is_ verifiable, because I can look in the archive if I really want to be sure. The aforementioned 2fa. News delivery. But to the extent I can avoid it, I don't use it for business, and you shouldn't either. :)