Re: [Geopriv] RE: Strawman Proposal

Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Tue, 13 March 2007 21:53 UTC

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 22:53:42 +0100
From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: Richard Barnes <rbarnes@bbn.com>
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] RE: Strawman Proposal
Cc: GEOPRIV <geopriv@ietf.org>, "Dawson, Martin" <Martin.Dawson@andrew.com>, Marc Linsner <mlinsner@cisco.com>, Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>

We mentioned the idea of putting two PIDF-LOs into a SIP signaling
message, namely one for routing and another one for consumption at the PSAP.
The one for routing does not need to provide a perfect precision, as we
know. For some countries it would be sufficient to use state granularity
to hit the correct PSAP.

I am also addressing those people who argue that "Operators will never
provide location information to the end host because they want to make
money with location-based applications. Hence, they can only use
location-by-reference".

I don't want to create relationships between every VoIP provider and
every access network provider in the world because I believe that this
will do a lot of harm to the Internet. I am OK with a relationship
between access network provider and PSAPs even though I see a lot of
problems there as well.

If we have to use a location-by-reference mechanism for these operators
then we don't need location signing.

I doubt that signed location information can be demanded for all
emergency service calls since we will even see calls with absolutely no
location information at all. Furthermore, we would have to tell the IEEE
to go home since none of their solution does any sort of signing.

Ciao
Hannes