Re: [Geopriv] RE: Strawman Proposal

Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Wed, 14 March 2007 07:56 UTC

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 08:56:50 +0100
From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: "Dawson, Martin" <Martin.Dawson@andrew.com>
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] RE: Strawman Proposal
Cc: GEOPRIV <geopriv@ietf.org>, Marc Linsner <mlinsner@cisco.com>, Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>

Hi Martin,

Dawson, Martin wrote:
> The word "conflates" has been getting a good airing lately, so I'll give
> it another shake.
>
> The problem I have with this thread is that it is conflating the process
> of subscriber identity and location.
>
> One requirement that hasn't come out of NENA in this forum is that the
> subscriber identity be delivered with some kind of strong credentials.

I don't understand this sentence.

> The reasons for this are at least twofold.
>
> Firstly, the requirements were about location - so why would subscriber
> identity turn up at all?

In the past a lot of discussions circled around the idea of putting the
subscriber identity into the PIDF-LO (entity attribute) and then to tie
it to subsequent authentication of the emergency caller to the PSAP to
mitigate some replay attacks.

> Secondly, one of the things that emergency services don't concern
> themselves with in responding to callers is whether you really are the
> individual they claim to be. Anonymous emergency calling via public
> payphones, SIMless mobiles, and any other point a caller can lay their
> hands on a device is an accepted feature of the service.

I don't know why you think that the true identity of the emergency
caller is not relevant for emergency services.
The public payphone has been a source for misuse even. Some countries
don't allow SIMless emergency calls exactly for the misuse purpose.

For the Internet, it is not even clear what "SIMless" emergency calls
means. Does it mean "unauthenticated network access", emergency calls
without authentication,  no authorization, etc?

Ciao
Hannes