RE: [Geopriv] RE: Strawman Proposal

"Dawson, Martin" <Martin.Dawson@andrew.com> Wed, 14 March 2007 10:39 UTC

Subject: RE: [Geopriv] RE: Strawman Proposal
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 05:39:43 -0500
From: "Dawson, Martin" <Martin.Dawson@andrew.com>
To: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
Cc: GEOPRIV <geopriv@ietf.org>, Marc Linsner <mlinsner@cisco.com>, Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>

		From: Hannes Tschofenig [mailto:Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net]
		Sent: Wed 3/14/2007 7:05 PM
		To: Dawson, Martin
		Cc: Richard Barnes; Henning Schulzrinne; GEOPRIV; Marc Linsner

> Cheers,
> Martin

IMS assumes that the access provider is the VoIP provider. That's a bit
different.

Both views are unrealistic (my personal opinion).

[MCD] I think we are saying the same thing

>  It misses the major point of
> using the Internet. Imagine being told you could only use your email or
> Internet banking from "partner" access providers.
>
> If we have to use a location-by-reference mechanism for these operators
> then we don't need location signing.

Today it, however, seems that the 3GPP does not even consider a
location-by-reference nor a location signing approach.
They are just happy with their emergency service architecture as is.

[MCD] I could go on about how an ESRK actually is a location reference or that the cypher mechanisms used to identify the SUPL server are examples of these things but there's no real point because we've already established that the Internet service model is what introduces the specific issues - and these didn't exist in the same sense for cellular.

> [[MCD]]
> [[MCD]] No, I disagree. Signed location - even obtained via reference -
> should still have the characteristics identified by the requirements.

Why would you want to protect location twice?
To me this looks like using HTTPS and S-HTTP together.

[MCD] Imagine a VPC (or a PSAP if that simplifies the model) receives a location reference as part of a call. Now it is going to go to the URI indicated by that reference. How is it going to know that the LIS serving that URI is trusted? I think the answer is that it needs to be certified by some recognized authority. Finally, since the dereferencer may still not be the ultimate consumer of the location object, I'd still prefer to keep the option of getting a signed LO via this interface as well.

> Imagine a dereferencing done to an ISP LIS, but the location-determiner
> and signer is actually a DSL infrastructure operator. About the only
> characteristic that could probably be ignored is the temporal component.
> That is, since I'm only asking right now, I know that the location is
> being provided right now.

I don't agree that this is a realistic threat scenario based on what I
replied to James.

> I doubt that signed location information can be demanded for all
> emergency service calls since we will even see calls with absolutely no
> location information at all. Furthermore, we would have to tell the IEEE
>
> to go home since none of their solution does any sort of signing.
> [[MCD]]
> [[MCD]] I doubt that it can to - especially in the short term. I see
> this as providing the tools that can begin to be applied now but which
> will really come into their own over the next ten years as the PSTN
> begins to drag its other foot into the grave.

I hope you are going to be at the IEEE / ECRIT information sharing
meeting in Prague.

[MCD] I wish. Unfortunately it's enough of a challenge to get travel funding just for James.

Ciao
Hannes

this email is prohibited.