Re: [Geopriv] RE: Strawman Proposal

Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Wed, 14 March 2007 08:05 UTC

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 09:05:23 +0100
From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: "Dawson, Martin" <Martin.Dawson@andrew.com>
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] RE: Strawman Proposal
Cc: GEOPRIV <geopriv@ietf.org>, Marc Linsner <mlinsner@cisco.com>, Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>

Hi Martin,

please find some comments below:

Dawson, Martin wrote:
> Comments inline.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

IMS assumes that the access provider is the VoIP provider. That's a bit
different.

Both views are unrealistic (my personal opinion).

>  It misses the major point of
> using the Internet. Imagine being told you could only use your email or
> Internet banking from "partner" access providers.
>
> If we have to use a location-by-reference mechanism for these operators
> then we don't need location signing.

Today it, however, seems that the 3GPP does not even consider a
location-by-reference nor a location signing approach.
They are just happy with their emergency service architecture as is.

> [[MCD]]
> [[MCD]] No, I disagree. Signed location - even obtained via reference -
> should still have the characteristics identified by the requirements.

Why would you want to protect location twice?
To me this looks like using HTTPS and S-HTTP together.

> Imagine a dereferencing done to an ISP LIS, but the location-determiner
> and signer is actually a DSL infrastructure operator. About the only
> characteristic that could probably be ignored is the temporal component.
> That is, since I'm only asking right now, I know that the location is
> being provided right now.

I don't agree that this is a realistic threat scenario based on what I
replied to James.

> I doubt that signed location information can be demanded for all
> emergency service calls since we will even see calls with absolutely no
> location information at all. Furthermore, we would have to tell the IEEE
>
> to go home since none of their solution does any sort of signing.
> [[MCD]]
> [[MCD]] I doubt that it can to - especially in the short term. I see
> this as providing the tools that can begin to be applied now but which
> will really come into their own over the next ten years as the PSTN
> begins to drag its other foot into the grave.

I hope you are going to be at the IEEE / ECRIT information sharing
meeting in Prague.

Ciao
Hannes