Re: [Ianaplan] What's happening at ICANN?

Jefsey <jefsey@jefsey.com> Sun, 11 October 2015 18:26 UTC

Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 20:26:11 +0200
To: Richard Hill <rhill@hill-a.ch>, 'Eric Brunner-Williams' <ebw@abenaki.wabanaki.net>, ianaplan@ietf.org
From: Jefsey <jefsey@jefsey.com>
Subject: Re: [Ianaplan] What's happening at ICANN?

At 08:28 11/10/2015, Richard Hill wrote:
>Please see embedded comments below.

Richard,
there are two accountability frameworks.

- one is within ICANN-IETF-RIR-Stakeholders community
- the other is to the world

They have been amalgamated since 1977 via the US Executive Branch,
using FCC and then ICANN. Also due to a single technology. This is
the BUG of the US military-industry wanting to Be Unilaterally
Global. This ended on Dec 14, 2012 in Dubai. The US/NSA was defeated
by other State NSAs. Today ICANN is the US proposed patch and as such
is a key stakeholder. Its internal disaray is worrying for all as (1)
being a major risk of instability and (2) testifying that its
strategists have not accepted that they are not anymore in a radical
monopoly but in a competitive context, however competition is only
building up under new forms. Unless they responsibly manage to
welcome and coopete with the new comers, these new commers will have
to curb the incumbent. They have the capacity, the legitimacy and a
strong political and financial incitement to do it. The decision lies
with the incumbent.

I am not sure the CCWG is the appropriate place for it.
jfc