Re: RIM patents a URN (and ignores IETF IPR rules)

Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com> Fri, 20 November 2009 01:53 UTC

From: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
To: Michael Montemurro <montemurro.michael@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: RIM patents a URN (and ignores IETF IPR rules)
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 10:52:54 +0900
Cc: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>, IETF-Discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>

In my company's case, we file IPR disclosures on patent applications
as well as allowed claims. That is consistent with our corporate
policy of encouraging innovation and patenting defensively; our
disclosures as a rule include the fact that we do not seek monetary
reward unless another party would rather trade IPR licenses mediated
by expensive lawyers than accept a free RFC 1988 license.

One of the concerns with filing IPR-laden concepts in a standard
without disclosure is that courts have been known to disallow the
protections a patent provides when IPR has been disguised in the
standards process. The IETF policy of disclosure is there to protect
your patent rights, not disrupt them.

Your patent attorneys may want to rethink that matter.