Re: [Ila] ILA forwaring [Was Re: [5gangip] Problem Statement]

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Tue, 01 May 2018 16:10 UTC

To: Tom Herbert <tom@herbertland.com>
Cc: ila@ietf.org, Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net>, 5GANGIP <5gangip@ietf.org>, Tom Herbert <tom@quantonium.net>
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2018 12:10:15 -0400
Subject: Re: [Ila] ILA forwaring [Was Re: [5gangip] Problem Statement]

Three reactions, all personal opinion (in case someone thinks my having
helped chair the BoF is in any way relevant; it isn't):

1) If ILA-Ns do not have caches, the ILA-Rs will become hot-spots in the
network.  Yes, you have provision for multiple of them sharing load.
However, if that sharing gets to be a significant percentage of teh
routers in the network, then there is no point in having bothered with
ILA, you are just routing on the SIR.

2) As far as I can tell, when some ILA-N have caches, the ILA-R have no
way of knowing whether the ILA-N have caches or not.  I can understand
what happens if all ILA-N in a network have the same cache state (either
they all have caches or they all do not have caches).  But I do not know
what behavior you expect of an ILA-R if the ILA-N are not uniform.
Given the hot-spot issue above, I think you need to really explain why
ILA-N would not ahve caches.

3 - Minor) Your usage of "sharding" seems odd.  You are simply dividing
the domain into address blocks, and distributing responsibility for
those blocks separately.  In other contexts, sharding seems to be used
more generally for having subcollections of the data which can be moved
around.

Yours,
Joel