Re: [Ila] [5gangip] ILA forwaring [Was Re: Problem Statement]

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Tue, 01 May 2018 16:58 UTC

To: Tom Herbert <tom@quantonium.net>
Cc: Tom Herbert <tom@herbertland.com>, ila@ietf.org, 5GANGIP <5gangip@ietf.org>
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2018 12:58:55 -0400
Subject: Re: [Ila] [5gangip] ILA forwaring [Was Re: Problem Statement]

If you do not use caches in your ILA-Ns (and yes, I understand your
reasoning for not doing so), then you are constructing an overlay
network.  One of the arguments I was given for using ILA was to enable
direct forwarding of packets effectively without needing to have routing
track the moving entities.  Without caches, you are pushing all the
traffic through fewer entities.  And you seem to be either using a lot
of ILA-R with concomitant information distribution or few ILA-R
restricting the information distribution problem but instead having
traffic concentration problems.

I understood from your earlier presentation that the ILA-r using the
packet as a signal was to avoid dropping the first packet, and as a
side-effect not needing a separate query message.
Now you seem to be saying that your think it important to support not
having caches in the ILA-Ns, which is a VERY different trade-off.

Yours,
Joel