Re: [jose] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-jose-json-web-algorithms-33: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Mon, 06 October 2014 21:18 UTC

Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 22:17:55 +0100
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>, 'Mike Jones' <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com>, 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: jose-chairs@tools.ietf.org, jose@ietf.org, draft-ietf-jose-json-web-algorithms@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [jose] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-jose-json-web-algorithms-33: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

(Sooo many messages on JOSE, I'll work backwards and see how far
I get:-)

On 06/10/14 21:59, Jim Schaad wrote:

>> -----Original Message----- From: jose
>> [mailto:jose-bounces@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Mike Jones Sent:
>> Monday, October 06, 2014 12:54 AM To: Stephen Farrell; The IESG Cc:
>> jose-chairs@tools.ietf.org; jose@ietf.org;
>> draft-ietf-jose-json-web- algorithms@tools.ietf.org Subject: Re:
>> [jose] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-jose-json-web-
>> algorithms-33: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)
>>
>> Thanks for your review, Stephen.  I've included the working group
>> on the thread so they're aware of your comments.
>>
>>> -----Original Message----- From: Stephen Farrell
>>> [mailto:stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie] Sent: Thursday, October 02,
>>> 2014 3:37 AM To: The IESG Cc: jose-chairs@tools.ietf.org;
>>> draft-ietf-jose-json-web- algorithms@tools.ietf.org Subject:
>>> Stephen Farrell's Discuss on
>>> draft-ietf-jose-json-web-algorithms-33: (with DISCUSS and
>>> COMMENT)
>>>
>>> Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
>>> draft-ietf-jose-json-web-algorithms-33: Discuss
>>>
>>> When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to
>>> all email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free
>>> to cut this introductory paragraph, however.)
>>>

>>> Please refer to
>>> http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html for more
>>> information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.
>>>

>>> The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found
>>> here:
>>> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-jose-json-web-algorithms/

>>> DISCUSS:

Sorry to pile on, but I guess such a detailed and broad piece of work
>>> is likely to attract many comments and discusses. Mine should be
>>> cleared up easily enough I hope.
>>>
>>> (1) 6.3.2.7: Hmm, where was that discussed on the list?  I think
>>> it'd be better if >2 prime RSA was considered a separate
>>> algorithm. (I vaguely recall some IPR with such moduli for some
>>> uses too, but not sure.) I'd recommend dropping the whole "oth"
>>> parameter entirely. (I'll clear this discuss once its clear that
>>> this was discussed by the WG, I just want to check as I don't
>>> recall it.)
>>
>> This was discussed in the thread "private keys, leading zeros"
>> initiated by James Manger on August 15, 2012.  (Sorry, I can't get
>> you the archive URL reference at present because I'm writing this
>> offline on an airplane over the Pacific.)  It was also discussed as
>> issue #153.  This feature was directly modelled on RFC 3447.
>> Applications are free to profile the JWK spec to prohibit the use
>> of such keys, so I don't see a compelling case to remove it.
>
> Mike, I may be missing some messages in my archive, however the last
> message I see on this was you said that unless there was a demand for
> it you saw no need to include this.  It then got included.  Do you
> have a message I am missing?

Ah, ok, I'll leave this bit open for the present.

>>> (2) Instructions to DEs: would registering DES be considered ok
>>> or not? What about myJustInventedPrivateAlg?  What about a
>>> request for 10 ccTLD specific Algs? I think these need a bit more
>>> clarity wrt cryptographic "goodness." As a nit, "makes sense"
>>> isn't going to help too much, we've seen that reasonable folks
>>> can differ on that here. Again I don't recall that discussion on
>>> the list, but please point me at it if it
>> happened.
>>
>> Registering DES with the Implementation Requirements value
>> "Prohibited" would be permitted.  The instructions on the "JOSE
>> Implementation Requirements" registry field include: Any
>> identifiers registered for non-authenticated encryption algorithms
>> or other algorithms that are otherwise unsuitable for direct use as
>> JWS or JWE algorithms must be registered as "Prohibited".
>>
>> Note that this capability was added at the request of the W3C
>> WebCrypto WG. (WebCrypto is choosing to support some algorithms
>> that JOSE explicitly chose not to, including some non-authenticated
>> encryption algorithms.)  "Deprecated" is also a value available to
>> registrants and the DEs.
>>
>> If you want to supply additional proposed language to the DEs, that
>> would be welcomed.
>
> I would tend to say that registering algorithms that we know now are
> blah would not be acceptable.   (Note that you would need to create
> an AEAD version of DES but that is doable.)  However, I would say
> that registration of vanity algorithms would not necessarily be
> verboten.  I would hope that the DEs did some small due diligence
> that the algorithm has been analyzed and is not trivially bad.
>
> It is not clear to me that it is possible to give language beyond "Do
> the right thing" that would be usable.

It is tricky yes. I'll clear that as a DISCUSS and make it a
comment.

S.

COMMENT:

Col 1 of the final 3 rows are unfortunate.