Re: [Lsr] New Version Notification for draft-wang-lsr-prefix-unreachable-annoucement-03.txt

Aijun Wang <wangaj3@chinatelecom.cn> Fri, 31 July 2020 00:16 UTC

Sender: wangaj3@chinatelecom.cn
From: Aijun Wang <wangaj3@chinatelecom.cn>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 08:16:39 +0800
Cc: Huzhibo <huzhibo@huawei.com>, "Acee Lindem (acee)" <acee@cisco.com>, Peter Psenak <ppsenak=40cisco.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, Xiaoyaqun <xiaoyaqun@huawei.com>, Aijun Wang <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn>, lsr <lsr@ietf.org>
To: Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net>
Subject: Re: [Lsr] New Version Notification for draft-wang-lsr-prefix-unreachable-annoucement-03.txt

Hi, Robert:

Aijun Wang
China Telecom

> On Jul 31, 2020, at 00:23, Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> Imagine I have two ABRs connecting area 1 to area 0. One is signalling transition to down for subset of summary and the other does not .. maybe it is slow ... maybe it does not support this new feature.
>
> So all routers in the area 0 are receiving a full summary from one ABR and a summary with hole from the other one. Should that be logical AND or OR ?

[WAJ] It should be OR. All routers in the area 0 should prefer to the ABR that not advertising PUA to forward traffic.

> Then on the other side there is area 2. Should the transition to down be leaked ?

[WAJ] The PUA should be leaked.

> If so in a nicely stable network we may see instead of few /20 summaries jump to 1M transitions to down yet summary continues - would that not have a bit negative effect on the entire network ? Where would ABR remove summary itself - when all atomic routes subsumed by the summary transition to down ?

[WAJ] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-wang-lsr-prefix-unreachable-annoucement-03#section-6 has described the extreme conditions for advertising PUA+Summary, Detail Reachable Prefixes only, or Summary Address with Max metric.
Is there any other graceful advertising in these conditions?

> - - -
>
> I am supportive of the idea to signal unreachable network elements. But I am not sure if we should do it in IGP and BGP or only in BGP.

[WAJ] Such information is for underlay link state and should be flooded via IGP? The ambiguity arises from IGP summary behavior and should be solved by itself?