Re: [Ltru] Re: Solving the UTF-8 problem

"Randy Presuhn" <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com> Thu, 12 July 2007 18:23 UTC

From: Randy Presuhn <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com>
To: ltru@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Re: Solving the UTF-8 problem
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 11:23:15 -0700

Hi -

As a technical contributor:

The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) is not a character set.

The IETF's BCP0018 has been in place for a *long* time, and it makes
sense to employ its recommendation: use UTF-8.

I've spent a fair amount of time using the computing facilities
available to the general public in a small sampling of third-world
countries.  I've had no problem displaying UTF-8.  Tools and
appropriate fonts (on ancient and under-powered recycled machines)
have not been a problem.

Perhaps others' experience is different, but I have little sympathy
for claims that appropriate tools are unavailable to the developers
who would be using this data.  If your public library's computing
facilities are not on a par with a typical third-world internet cafe,
then you have a problem more critical to your community than the
encoding of an IANA registry.  (Think globally, act locally?)

If someone wants to provide "added value" (or would it be "reduced value"?)
versions of the registry contents, that's *their* perogative, but I think
we should not be spending our time and energy defining what those (by
definition out of our scope) projects might do.

Randy