Re: [MBONED] WGLC for <draft-ietf-mboned-ipv4-uni-based-mcast-04.txt>

Tim Chown <tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk> Tue, 22 January 2008 11:01 UTC

Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:00:30 +0000
From: Tim Chown <tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
To: mboned@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MBONED] WGLC for <draft-ietf-mboned-ipv4-uni-based-mcast-04.txt>

Hi,

When I read this discussion, I'm reminded of similar ones between IPv4
and IPv6.   To many people, IPv6 is the future, and inevitable, and working
on things to keep IPv4 propped up seems time better spent elsewhere.
Yet of course IPv4 is here for a long time.

While SSM may be the better solution in many people's eyes, the reality
is that not all vendors are interested in supporting it, and deployment
obstacles remain.   In the meantime there are sites that would like to
offer global scope multicast content that are having difficulty doing so
due to the existing lack of alternatives to GLOP.

It's all very well to try to block this draft on a point of principle,
but the reality is that there are issues deploying SSM today, and in getting
globally scoped group addresses for ASM.

I would in fact probably argue that in order to give multicast a foot up
in general, getting initial services running with ASM, until SSM is ready,
could potentially be very useful.

In my own context, UK universities are one such community who would
benefit from this proposal.   You have several hundred sites for whom
address space is available from only one ASN.    Dave's proposal puts the
address alolcation and managementin the hands of the end site (just as IPv6
multicast does).

And I would echo Pekka's request to extend the 'experiment' to 3 or 5 years
initially.

Tim

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 10:20:46PM -0800, Toerless Eckert wrote:

> Thanks for replying.
>
> Inline.
>
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 07:57:06AM +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Toerless Eckert wrote:
> > >1. Use SSM
> > >
> > >  When applied to the global internet, it proliferates the choice of ASM
> > >  multicast
> > >  that in my understanding has been recognized to be no long term IETF
> > >  preferred
> > >  choice (based on the status of MSDP necessary to support it). All the
> > >  applications
> > >  for global address space that i have seen would better be served with
> > >  SSM too
> > >  anyhow, so i i will claim that i have not seen sufficient justification
> > >  (requirements) for what the draft claims to provide a solution for.
> >
> > The proof is in the pudding, they say.  If SSM provides better and
> > easier mechanisms to deploy some applications, it's going to be used.
> > Preventing those that don't see SSM as an option at this point from
> > using this approach does not seem very productive to me.
>
> Drafting RFCs to help users easier repeat mistakes of the past easier does
> not seem to be helpfull to me either. If successfull across the internet,
> this draft/RFC would proliferate theuse of MSDP and thus cause exactly
> what i thought we concluded in the IETF not to be of benefit.
>
> And if not targeted for the internet, as i think some other folks on this
> working group agreed to also, then there is no need to delegate this
> scheme to global scope, internet routed addresses, right ?
> >
> > >2. Do not allocate global addresses for private scoped address use.
> > >
> > >  The overwhelming mayority of addressing AFAIK is requested for content
> > >  distribution
> > >  in private peerings, never to be handed to the global Internet. Like all
> > >  the
> > >  market data or TV providers that i had the unpleasant experience trying
> > >  to keep
> > >  as happy customers while still explaining why i hate the allocation of
> > >  of more
> > >  Internet scope ASM addresses ;-)
> > >
> > >  I would thus propose to redesignate this draft not for allocation of
> > >  addresses for the global I, but for an IP multicast version of ULAs like
> > >  existng for IPv6 in unicast (Unique Local Address, rfc4193), aka: define
> > >  that this additional ASM address space is an extension of administrative
> > >  scoped multicast addresses that just are globally unique, but that will
> > >  not
> > >  be routed across the bit I.
> >
> > I don't see this suggestion being productive.
>
> Please explain.
>
> > However, I don't see that there is anything stopping from creating yet
> > another, similar address space that's meant to be used for the purpose
> > you suggest (e.g., under the lower bits of 239/8).  But that should be
> > a separate proposal (can you write a draft about it?), not requirement
> > to change an existing one.

> [...]

Tim