Re: [MBONED] WGLC for <draft-ietf-mboned-ipv4-uni-based-mcast-04.txt>

Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com> Wed, 23 January 2008 01:59 UTC

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com>
Subject: Re: [MBONED] WGLC for <draft-ietf-mboned-ipv4-uni-based-mcast-04.txt>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:58:56 -0500
To: Dino Farinacci <dino@cisco.com>
Cc: mboned@ietf.org

Dino;

On Jan 22, 2008, at 7:41 PM, Dino Farinacci wrote:

>>> Why isn't GLOP address allocation sufficient?
>>
>> In the scenario we're in (which may or may not be common in national
>> research and education networks) the provider (NREN) has an ASN
>> but the
>> regional networks and end sites invariably do not.   So we can
>> only get
>> a GLOP allocation from the NREN.   Between a few hundred universities
>> and thousands of colleges connected to that NREN, a GLOP block
>> doesn't
>> go far, especially when the NREN itself may wish to 'reserve'
>> addresses
>> for its own future use (quite reasonably).
>
> But you can go get an ASN and not use it for BGP purpose but do use
> it for GLOP addressing. Then you decouple yourself from your
> upstream provider.

I think that there is a big problem with this suggestion :

Soon, 16 bit ASN will become unavailable. (January, 2009, the RIRs
will only give them out by request,
January 2010, they will not distinguish between the 16 and 32 bit
pools, which means in practice you
will get a 32 bit one.)

There is no GLOP space for 32 bit ASN. We are working on a I-D to
address this, but it is not there yet.

(There are other problems, but this is a big one.)

Marshall