Re: [MBONED] WGLC for <draft-ietf-mboned-ipv4-uni-based-mcast-04.txt>

Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> Tue, 29 January 2008 18:56 UTC

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 20:56:14 +0200
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To: Peter Koch <pk@DENIC.DE>
Subject: Re: [MBONED] WGLC for <draft-ietf-mboned-ipv4-uni-based-mcast-04.txt>
Cc: mboned@ietf.org

I was wondering whether the thread would ever end and chairs could
figure out what are the next steps, but it's always nice to see a good
review after mostly offtopic discussion.

My take..

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Peter Koch wrote:
>> This Last Call will end on January 11, 2008 at 1400 EST (UTC/GMT-4).  We
>> set the WGLC period longer than usual considering we have holiday season
>> during this WGLC period.
>
> apologies for the late reply.  I have no strong preference one way or another,
> but I think there's text in the document that could benefit from external
> review from the RIR/LIR community maybe even prior to IETF Last Call.

Good point, I have no strong feelings about the timing.  Document
requires a revision in any case (the experiment or at least the length
of it).  If a rev could be done before the I-D cutoffs close, RIR/LIR
community could review it during IETF LC.  If not, RIR/LIR community
could review a non-final suggestion earlier.

> First, unicast addresses are distributed through the IANA->RIR[->NIR]->LIR
> channel, so a particular /24 may end up being allocated (to an LIR)
> but not assigned to a single end user.  Since address policies are
> developed in the five RIR regions, is this something the bodies concerned
> need to address?  Is the multicast group address for the LIR to
> assign/distribute?

Maybe a clarification is needed.  The intent is that this document
provides a "mapping function" that each network can employ on their
own, just like they can employ for GLOP address space.  No assignment
or allocation action by LIR or RIR is needed.

> The term "owner of address space" is likely incompatible with current
> assignment policy documents (at least for the RIPE region, it isn't used,
> if not avoided).

Good point, this could probably be fixed based on specific comments
from the regions.

> Is there any intention to support DNS reverse mapping for the /8-to-be?
> If the decision is up to the RIRs, the document might want to explicitly
> defer this.

My personal belief is "no", because I don't see this compatible with
the "mapping function" nature of address space and the overhead caused
by reverse delegation in this kind of context.

> Since everybody "owns" 10/8 and the other RFC 1918 addresses, what happens
> to these and all the other parts of the multicast /8, e.g. XX.127/16
> and XX.224/12?

Maybe some warning here would be useful.