Re: [MIB-DOCTORS] Change the boilerplate - Kathleen'DISCUSS point 2

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Thu, 10 July 2014 13:56 UTC

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 14:55:52 +0100
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>, "Thomas D. Nadeau" <tnadeau@lucidvision.com>, "Bert Wijnen (IETF)" <bertietf@bwijnen.net>
Cc: "MIB Doctors (E-mail)" <mib-doctors@ietf.org>, Alissa Cooper <alissa@cooperw.in>, sec-ads@tools.ietf.org, Farrel Adrian <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [MIB-DOCTORS] Change the boilerplate - Kathleen'DISCUSS point 2

On 10/07/14 14:52, Benoit Claise wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Let's try to address one point at a time, and get closure one by one.
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-eman-energy-aware-mib/ballot/#kathleen-moriarty
>

> Kathleen proposes:
> OLD:
>
>    "The
>    support for SET operations in a non-secure environment without proper
>    protection can have a negative effect on network operations."
>
> NEW:
>
>    "The
>    support for SET operations in a non-secure environment without proper
>    protection can have a negative effect on network operations or leave
>    cyber physical devices used by individuals, homes, and business
>    vulnerable to attack."
>

> I believe this new proposal makes sense. Does anybody object?

s/cyber physical// or replace it with something that does not
use the word cyber which is utterly laden with marketing and
other BS IMO. (Apologies to those of you who partly make a
living from such, which I do understand, but don't have to
do:-) I think we should avoid including such non-technical
terms in things like this. (Think "cloud":-)

S.

> Regards, Benoit
>
>> On Jul 10, 2014:3:15 AM, at 3:15 AM, Bert Wijnen (IETF)
>> <bertietf@bwijnen.net> wrote:
>>
>>> it is always interesting to see that when we get new ADs that we must
>>> rediscuss this whole topic.
>>     This is precisely one of the things that is broken about the IETF
>> these days, if you ask me: the re-re-re-discussion of topics at the
>> 11:59th hour of a document's progress through the gauntlet.
>>
>>> But yes, there are/were implementations/deployments where one uses
>>> dedicated (secure) networks
>>> for the network management systems, and so that would work under a