Re: [mmox] Learning from the past; focusing on the future

Gareth Nelson <gareth@litesim.com> Mon, 23 February 2009 07:54 UTC

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 07:54:28 +0000
From: Gareth Nelson <gareth@litesim.com>
To: Jon Watte <jwatte@gmail.com>
Cc: Mystical Demina <MysticalDemina@xrgrid.com>, mmox@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mmox] Learning from the past; focusing on the future

> 1) A protocol that lets some number of second-life derived client softwares
> cross-connect to some number of second-life derived services, possibly
> bringing along some number of second-life derived assets (I've heard
> proposals that boil down to this from a few people)

I think this is to be avoided, for obvious reasons (i.e SL-bias)

> 2) A protocol that lets significantly different virutal world systems
> interoperate to share in creating a single, bigger, more diverse simulation
> (Some other people, including me, are presenting proposals along these
> lines).
This is where the future lies

> However, right now, I don't even think we know how to make that decision. We
> need to make this decision, so that the people who aren't interested in "the
> other" approach can properly decide where and how to spend time and
> resources.
We definitely need more agreement on the basics of what kinds of world
and how specific the standards should be. There's a tradeoff between
biasing towards 1 kind of world and compatibility with all worlds.