Re: [mmox] Learning from the past; focusing on the future

"Robert Gehorsam" <RGehorsam@forterrainc.com> Mon, 23 February 2009 21:30 UTC

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:30:23 -0800
From: Robert Gehorsam <RGehorsam@forterrainc.com>
To: Jon Watte <jwatte@gmail.com>, Morgaine <morgaine.dinova@googlemail.com>
Cc: Mystical Demina <MysticalDemina@xrgrid.com>, mmox@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mmox] Learning from the past; focusing on the future

I think part of the issue here with regard to the debate between broad
and narrow interoperability is that, other than Jon representing
Forterra's technical efforts, there are no other visibly participating
technical representatives from any other virtual world technology
providers or other relevant groups.  No one from Sun, Qwaq, Multiverse,
HiPiHi, Activeworlds, any of the browser-based folks, Twinity, any of
the game folks or kids worlds, Makena (the company that, contrary to
some folks' assertions, is the company that makes and operates
There.com), Proton Media, Icarus or its various partners, ECS, and so
forth.   I've seen references to Qwaq but haven't seen Greg or anyone
else from there participating here.   There are probably two dozen
companies that would be reasonable candidates for this discussion, not
to mention companies like Adobe, Google, Intel, Samsung, Sony and, yes,
even Microsoft, all of which might arguably have some interesting
contributions to make.

It may be that this lack of broad participation is creating -- fairly or
unfairly -- the sense that the conversation will naturally drift towards
an SL-OS orientation -- despite what I see as the best intentions of
many people here -- simply because, other than Forterra, no one else is
stepping up to the plate.   I can tell you that *that* is not something
that Forterra wants to see, because it's inherent in our view of the
evolution of the internet that interoperability between diverse virtual
worlds is essential for all to succeed.  So the imbalance in this
ongoing discussion creates a false dynamic of conflict when none is
intended.  Without broad input, how can we achieve broad
interoperability?

Is there any outreach going on to these various organizations, or is
that somehow not part of the policy?  Not being really familiar with the
workings of these sorts of technical groups, I just don't know.

Robert