Re: [mmox] Learning from the past; focusing on the future

"Mystical Demina" <MysticalDemina@xrgrid.com> Mon, 23 February 2009 06:49 UTC

From: Mystical Demina <MysticalDemina@xrgrid.com>
To: mmox@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 01:49:13 -0500
Subject: Re: [mmox] Learning from the past; focusing on the future

Hi,

Seems to be this discussion on whether to support meshes or prims is
interesting but if the goal is to have an interoperable protocol between
systems that we should be looking at a higher level abstraction in which to
define the semantics between systems and talk in more general terms at first
such as defining a collection of abstractions of which there could exist an
object, objects could have a name, a type and a body or a reference to its
details.  The type would be something like the MIME type we use on web
pages.  Then it would be up to virtual worlds to support the MIME types that
they would like to support.  Could even get more complicated as things grow
for a system to make available a list of types it supports.  If Lindens
would like to have prims supported as one of those types they can submit a
MIME type and the specification for it.  Also to just say because most of
the work is meshes as well isn't the best either.  There are tons of mesh
standards, OBJ, etc.

I think until we define things in these terms the actual physical protocols
don't do us much good.

Seems there are some basic problems that could be tacked first like the URL
that define locations in a virtual world.  Can't teleport till we define
where we are teleporting to.  Once we can define a location then we can talk
about context and types of data that we wish to exchange.  There are a lot
of things that already exist in the web that I think we can look to
implement like anonymous access, cookies so when we return to a location we
don't have to log in again.

Kevin Tweedy

http://www.XRGrid.com <http://www.xrgrid.com/>

SL: Mystical Demina