Re: [MMUSIC] SCTP question: Where does it multiplex?

<Markus.Isomaki@nokia.com> Mon, 03 December 2012 09:03 UTC

From: Markus.Isomaki@nokia.com
To: harald@alvestrand.no, christer.holmberg@ericsson.com
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 09:02:44 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.21.81.188]
Cc: mmusic@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] SCTP question: Where does it multiplex?

Hi,

I agree that it would be useful to be able to run data channel on the same 5-tuple as RTP/RTCP, and even making it the default and must-implement way for the browsers.

QoS/prioritization comes to mind as the only potential drawback. The endpoint can naturally still give different priorities to the different components (audio, video, "data") it is sending. I assume SCTP also has TCP-style receiver window that can be used to throttle reception if needed. And presumably RMCAT will find solutions to congestion control in genenral. But from the network perspective there is only one flow, and the only(?) way to differentiate the components is to use DSCP. I don't think our QoS (or API) draft yet clearly explains how DSCP's are learned and set, or whether that is even going to be a realistic solution.

Markus