Re: [mpls] mpls wg last call on draft-ietf-mpls-tp-identifiers-01

Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com> Wed, 24 March 2010 16:57 UTC

From: Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com>
To: Shahram Davari <davari@broadcom.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 18:57:22 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>, "ccamp@ietf.org" <ccamp@ietf.org>, "mpls-tp@ietf.org" <mpls-tp@ietf.org>, "pwe3@ietf.org" <pwe3@ietf.org>, "stbryant@cisco.com" <stbryant@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [mpls] mpls wg last call on draft-ietf-mpls-tp-identifiers-01

Shahram,
I fully agree with you that defining two incompatible identifiers without defining the mandatory default results in a clear breach of interoperability.

Aside ==> Could somebody remind me when did the IESG revoke its once-in-force requirement to explicitly define
          mandatory default every time multiple incompatible modes are specified in a protocol?

On the other hand, neither of the two looks like a good candidate for the mandatory default:

- IETF identifiers effectively assume usage of IP addressing which cannot be presumed in MPLS-TP.
  The notes stating that IP addresses, AS numbers etc. used in these identifiers do not necessarily have
  to behave as "real" IP addresses/AS numbers do not really help IMO.

- AFAIK, ITU identifiers have hardly ever been used before for any meaningful purpose.
  Hence mandating them would be at best premature.

I must admit that I do not see any clear way out of this situation.

Regards,
     Sasha