Re: [mpls] [mpls-tp] mpls wg last call on draft-ietf-mpls-tp-identifiers-01

Maarten Vissers <maarten.vissers@huawei.com> Wed, 21 April 2010 09:06 UTC

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 11:06:07 +0200
From: Maarten Vissers <maarten.vissers@huawei.com>
To: neil.2.harrison@bt.com, swallow@cisco.com, mpls@ietf.org, mpls-tp@ietf.org, pwe3@ietf.org, ccamp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mpls] [mpls-tp] mpls wg last call on draft-ietf-mpls-tp-identifiers-01

Neil,

There are three MPLS-TP layer netowrks defined:
1) Transport Service layer network
   (including MS-PWs, Service-LSPs, PST-LSPs)
2) Transport Path layer network
   (including Transport-LSPs, PST-LSPs)
3) Section layer network
   (including Section-LSPs, PST-LSPs).

Each of those three MPLS-TP layer networks has two types of sub-layers
defined:
A) TCM sub-layer with a 1:1 relation (for admin domain monitoring
   and SNC/S protection switching applications)
B) TCM sub-layer with a n:1 relation (for some protection switching
applciations)
which are supported by PST-LSPs.

The three layer networks have Access Points, and those APs are identified by
means of an Access Point Identifier.

The sub-layers have sub-layer Access Points, and those sub-layer APs are
identified by means of a sub-layer Access Point Identifier.

	[Note - We need to understand what the IETF equivalent of the ITU-T
Access Point
      is... See below the '-----' for my view on this based on a question I
received
      on what the equivalent ITU-T construct would be for an IETF
'interface'.]

The MPLS-TP data plane does not demarc the boundary between those layer
networks or between a layer and its sublayers. This is a clear difference
with similar layer/sublayer structures in OTN ODU and Ethernet ETH layers;
in those two technologies there is a clear demarcation between layer
networks and between the layer network signal and its sublayers. But we have
to ask ourselves the question if this would be an issue... Most likely not
because of the following:

Transport Service, Transport Path and Section layer names represent roles in
a domain. A Transport-LSP in domain A can be passed through a domain B in
which it is considered to be a Service-LSP. Similarly, a Section-LSP in
domain A can be passed through a domain B in which it is considered to be a
Service-LSP. And it is even possible to have a Section-LSP in domain A which
is passed through a domain B as Service-LSP and is then handed of to domain
C as a Transport-LSP.

This role variability is also present in the OTN ODU and Ethernet ETH
layers, so there is commonality between those three technologies at this
point.

The implication is that the Access Point in e.g. a MPLS-TP Section layer or
Ethernet Virtual Section layer could be connected with an Access Point in a
MPLS-TP Transport Path or Ethernet Virtual Path layer. This capability is of
course a feature and not a bug, and the implication is that the access point
identification scheme should be agnostic to the operational role names of
the layer networks in each domain.

-----------

I was asked the question what the ITU-T equivalent of the IETF 'interface'
would be.
It could be that this equivalent is the 'access point'. The access points
demark a trail in a layer network and access points are identified by means
of their 'access point identifier (APId)'. If you look at clause 8.6.1 in
G.7710 http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.7710-200707-I/en then you find in
figure 23 a description of how the APId is used to identify the other
reference points (termination connection point, connection point).

In G.831 http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.831-200003-I/en you find the
following features of the access points:
----------
The features of Access Point Identifiers (APIs) are:
- each access point identifier must be globally unique in its layer network;
- where it may be expected that the access point may be required for path
set-up across an inter-operator boundary, the access point identifier must
be available to other network operators; - the access point identifier
should not change while the access point remains in existence; - the access
point identifier should be able to identify the country and network operator
which is responsible for routing to and from the access point; - the set of
all access point identifiers belonging to a single administrative layer
network should form a single access point identification scheme; - the
scheme of access point identifiers for each administrative layer network can
be independent from the scheme in any other administrative layer network.

The API shall begin with either the country code as defined in ITU-T E.164
(one, two or three numeric characters) or, the three alphabetic character
country code as defined in ISO 3166.
The remainder of the API characters that follow the country code shall be a
matter for the organization to whom the country code has been assigned,
provided that uniqueness is guaranteed.
These characters may be any alphanumeric characters as defined in ITU-T T.50
(International Reference Version - 7-bit coded character set for information
interchange).
The alphanumeric character set consists of the characters "a" to "z", "A" to
"Z", and "0" to "9".
In the case where the API uses less than fifteen characters, the API will be
padded (extended) with the T.50 "NUL" character to get a fifteen byte
character string.
------------

Applying this AP, CP and TCP identification in MPLS-TP you would get the
following:

- PW access points demark the PW trail
- PW termination connection points demark the PW network connection

- LSP access points demark the LSP trail
- LSP termination connection points demark the LSP network connection

A PW trail and network connection are identified (PW_TID, PW_NCID) by means
of their PW APId set <PW_APId_1, PW_APId_2> for a p2p PW and <PW_APId_1,
PW_APId_2, .., PW_APId_n> for a p2mp PW.

A LSP trail and network connection are identified (LSP_TID, LSP_NCID) by
means of their LSP APId set <LSP_APId_1, LSP_APId_2> for a p2p LSP and
<LSP_APId_1, LSP_APId_2, .., LSP_APId_n> for a p2mp LSP.

- a LSP carries one or more client LSPs and/or PWs and/or VPLSs.
The client LSP connection points are identified by means of the LSP APId
plus the client_LSP label value.
The client PW connection points are identified by means of the LSP APId plus
the client_PW label value.
The client VPLS (i.e. ETH) flow points are identified by means of the LSP
APId plus the client_VPLS (i.e. PW) label value.

- a PW may carry one or more client LSPs.
The client LSP connection points are identified by means of the PW APId plus
the client_LSP label value.

- a PW may carry one or more client VLANs.
The client VLAN (i.e. ETH) flow points are identified by means of the PW
APId plus the client_VLAN VLAN ID (VID) or Service instance ID (SID) value.

The client connection/flow points demark a client link connection.
A client_LSP or _VLAN link connection supported by a PW trail is then
identified by the PW trail identifier (i.e.
<PW_APId_1,PW_APId_2(,...,PW_APId_n)> plus the client label or VID/SID
value.
A client_LSP/PW/VPLS link connection supported by a LSP trail is then
identified by the LSP trail identifier (i.e.
<LSP_APId_1,LSP_APId_2(,...,LSP_APId_n)> plus the client LSP or PW label
value (LSP__LCID, PW_LCID, VPLS_LCID).

A PW (or LSP) trail contains of one or more PW (or LSP) link connections
with unique identifiers. This implies that one PW (or LSP) trail/network
connection identifier is related to a set of PW (or LSP) link connection
identifiers; e.g. PW_TID/PW_NCID <=> {PW_LCID_a,PW_LCID_b, ...}

------------

PWs and LSPs represent layer network trails and sublayer network trails in
the MPLS-TP Transport Service, Transport Path and Section layer networks. An
overview:

Transport Service layer network:
- MPLS-TP PW trail
- MPLS-TP service-LSP trail
[- ETH VPLS connectionless trail]
- MPLS-TP PST-LSP sublayer trail

Transport Path layer network:
- MPLS-TP transport-LSP trail
- MPLS-TP PST-LSP sublayer trail

Section layer network:
- MPLS-TP section-LSP trail
- MPLS-TP PST-LSP sublayer trail

Note that the PST-LSP sublayer trails performing a TCM function are
dependent on the layer trails. If a layer trail is deleted all associated
PST-LSP sublayer trails have to be deleted as well.

In MPLS-TP these sublayer trails perform a complete encapsulation of the
layer trail and/or client-sublayer trail. This is different from sublayer
trails in SDH, OTN, ATM and Ethernet networks. In those latter network
technologies a sublayer trail just adds an additional level of OAM without
further encapsulating the incoming signal. As a consequence in those latter
networks the addition or removal of a sublayer does not change the set of
link connections in the trail/network connection. In MPLS-TP we have to
decide if we follow the same model, or if we consider that the addition of a
sublayer (i.e. a PST-LSP) changes the number of link connections in the
layer trail/network connection.

Regards,
Maarten