Re: [Nea] Consensus check on EAP-based PT

" latze@angry-red-pla.net " <latze@angry-red-pla.net> Thu, 04 August 2011 06:35 UTC

To: "Susan Thomson (sethomso)" <sethomso@cisco.com>, nea@ietf.org
From: "latze@angry-red-pla.net" <latze@angry-red-pla.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 08:35:52 +0200
Subject: Re: [Nea] Consensus check on EAP-based PT

PT-EAP

----- Reply message -----
From: "Susan Thomson (sethomso)" <sethomso@cisco.com>
To: <nea@ietf.org>
Subject: [Nea] Consensus check on EAP-based PT
Date: Tue, Aug 2, 2011 11:04 pm

At IETF81 and several prior IETF meetings, as well as on the mailing
list, the WG has evaluated the pros and cons of 2 architectural
approaches to carrying posture within an EAP tunnel method:

- EAP method
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hanna-nea-pt-eap-01.txt

- EAP TLV.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cam-winget-eap-tlv-03.txt

So far, there has been no WG consensus to adopt one architecture versus
the other. (At the recent F2F meeting in Quebec City, the consensus
check at the meeting showed an equal number in favor of each approach.)

This email is a final call to determine WG consensus on the L2 PT
approach.

The consensus check is to choose one of the following 3 options:
1) PT-EAP approach
2) NEA-TLV approach
3) Neither (please state the reason if you choose this option)

Please respond to the above question by Tues Aug 16 at 5pm PT. Please do
so even if you have already expressed your opinion, either at a WG
meeting or on the mailing list. The answer can be as brief as selecting
option 1), 2) or 3). If you would like to add your reasons for your
choice, that would be appreciated too, especially if you choose option
3).

If we have consensus on the mailing list, we will adopt the selected
approach.

If we still do not have consensus, the WG chairs and AD (Stephen
Farrell) have agreed that the AD will make a decision. The proponents of
both approaches have agreed to abide by this decision. This resolution
plan was discussed at the F2F meeting at IETF81. This plan was also
communicated to the list in an email on Jun 30, 2011. No objections have
been received.

In either case, the individual submission corresponding to the selected
approach will be adopted as a -00 NEA WG I-D, and we will proceed with
the normal process of editing the document within the WG.

Thanks
Susan