Re: [Nea] Protecting L2 PT when proxying

Stephen Hanna <shanna@juniper.net> Thu, 04 August 2011 00:47 UTC

From: Stephen Hanna <shanna@juniper.net>
To: Joe Salowey <jsalowey@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 20:47:43 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "nea@ietf.org" <nea@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Nea] Protecting L2 PT when proxying

My comments are inline below.

Joe Salowey wrote:
> On Aug 3, 2011, at 7:28 AM, Stephen Hanna wrote:
> > We talked about this at length in the WG meeting last week.
> > I think we all agreed that both of the L2 PT proposals MUST
> > be carried in an EAP tunnel method or equivalent protection.
> > This will need to be an explicit requirement in the spec.
> >
> > The same requirements should apply to proxying PT beyond
> > the end of the EAP tunnel method.
>
> [Joe] If you follow the above mandate then you would not expose PT-EAP
> outside the tunnel method.  I believe this is the appropriate
> requirement if using PT-EAP.

I don't agree. You should be able to use RADSEC to proxy PT-EAP
from an EAP server that terminates the EAP tunnel and authenticates
the user to a NEA Server that performs the posture assessment.

> > For PT-EAP, the obvious
> > choice is to use RADSEC (RADIUS/TLS). For EAP-TLV, a new
> > RADIUS attribute could be created to solve the problem,
> > as you suggest. Or RADSEC could be used. But neither L2 PT
> > proposal is suitable for unprotected conveyance over an
> > untrusted network. I suppose we could revise the proposals
> > to include their own security measures so that they could
> > be carried without external protections. But this was never
> > a design goal for NEA. I don't see any reason to add it
> > now, especially in the middle of a consensus check.
> >
> [Joe]  The problem here is that the EAP RADIUS attribute in general
> does not require additional protection.  PT-EAP introduces a new
> special case in which it does.  This creates a situation in which
> implementations need to check the EAP type code in order to change
> their behavior.    While this may seem harmless, it adds complexity and
> conspires against the extensible framework that EAP and AAA are built
> upon.   I agree that there are multiple ways to protect an attribute.
> When proxying NEA data as an EAP method you are overloading an existing
> attribute with new meaning and requirements, but with a TLV you would
> create a new attribute with its own protection requirements and
> possibly its own protection mechanism.   You can also create an
> attribute to carry PT data even if you are using PT-EAP, which would be
> my preferred approach if we are going to expose NEA data outside the
> tunnel.

PT-EAP is no more a special case than any of the other EAP methods
that cannot safely be used without protections. You may consider
this to be difficult to implement but several implementers have
already spoken out on the NEA list saying that they found an EAP-
based PT easier to implement than an attribute-based PT. I don't
question that PT-EAP might be harder for your employer to implement
since you've designed your architecture around using TLVs to carry
posture but apparently this does not hold for other implementations.

Thanks,

Steve