Re: [Nea] Consensus check on EAP-based PT

Andreas Steffen <andreas.steffen@strongswan.org> Wed, 03 August 2011 05:55 UTC

Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 07:55:37 +0200
From: Andreas Steffen <andreas.steffen@strongswan.org>
To: nea@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Nea] Consensus check on EAP-based PT

Hi,

my choice is option 1) PT-EAP.

The advantage of using an inner EAP protocol for PT in an IKEv2
context is that within the outer TLS tunnel the initial EAP-Identity
exchange, an ensuing EAP-based client authentication (e.g. EAP-MD5
or EAP-MSCHAPv2) and finally EAP-PT can be handled in a consistent way
by loading the corresponding EAP plugins.

Best regards

Andreas

On 02.08.2011 23:04, Susan Thomson (sethomso) wrote:
> At IETF81 and several prior IETF meetings, as well as on the mailing
> list, the WG has evaluated the pros and cons of 2 architectural
> approaches to carrying posture within an EAP tunnel method:
>
> - EAP method
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hanna-nea-pt-eap-01.txt
>
> - EAP TLV.
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cam-winget-eap-tlv-03.txt
>
> So far, there has been no WG consensus to adopt one architecture versus
> the other. (At the recent F2F meeting in Quebec City, the consensus
> check at the meeting showed an equal number in favor of each approach.)
>
> This email is a final call to determine WG consensus on the L2 PT
> approach.
>
> The consensus check is to choose one of the following 3 options:
> 1) PT-EAP approach
> 2) NEA-TLV approach
> 3) Neither (please state the reason if you choose this option)
>
> Please respond to the above question by Tues Aug 16 at 5pm PT. Please do
> so even if you have already expressed your opinion, either at a WG
> meeting or on the mailing list. The answer can be as brief as selecting
> option 1), 2) or 3). If you would like to add your reasons for your
> choice, that would be appreciated too, especially if you choose option
> 3).
>
> If we have consensus on the mailing list, we will adopt the selected
> approach.
>
> If we still do not have consensus, the WG chairs and AD (Stephen
> Farrell) have agreed that the AD will make a decision. The proponents of
> both approaches have agreed to abide by this decision. This resolution
> plan was discussed at the F2F meeting at IETF81. This plan was also
> communicated to the list in an email on Jun 30, 2011. No objections have
> been received.
>
> In either case, the individual submission corresponding to the selected
> approach will be adopted as a -00 NEA WG I-D, and we will proceed with
> the normal process of editing the document within the WG.
>
> Thanks
> Susan

Andreas Steffen                         andreas.steffen@strongswan.org
CH-8640 Rapperswil (Switzerland)