Re: [newprep] WG Review: Stringprep after IDNA2008 WG (newprep)

JFC Morfin <jefsey@jefsey.com> Tue, 11 May 2010 23:34 UTC

Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 01:33:50 +0200
To: iesg@ietf.org, ietf-announce@ietf.org
From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@jefsey.com>
Cc: workon@idna2010.org, newprep@ietf.org, iucg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [newprep] WG Review: Stringprep after IDNA2008 WG (newprep)

At 19:30 11/05/2010, IESG Secretary wrote:
>A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Applications Area.  The
>IESG has not made any determination as yet. The following draft charter
>was submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please
>send your comments to the IESG mailing list (iesg@ietf.org)
>by Tuesday, May 18, 2010.

As I have explained, and been opposed for that, many times, it was
necessary for IDNA that an independent domain name character set
(DNCS)  eventually be worked out. It was to be adequately formed in
using ISO 10646 code points, to permit easy interoperability. The
process used to prepare a UCS string into a DNCS string, could be
named a "domainization".

My reading of the concerned parts of IDNA2008 is that it has achieved
a first big step towards that end, what permitted my consensual
support. IDNA2008 is related but independent from Unicode. A
difficulty remains however: the support of Latin language majuscules
and other orthotypographical issues (i.e. not the way machines but
people's languages use characters)  because the Unicode format does
not support metadata.

Yet, I only consider such a DNCS in-parts as a super-set of a
"multilingual registry regular character set" ("regcode") prepared in
the same manner, but also with anti-phishing considerations, so that
the resulting charset can serve as a secure man/machine
multiorthotypographic universal charset (passports, security cards,
operating system commands, databases, ISO 11179 registries, etc. and
metadata). So, this regcode can be the Internet presentation layer
character set.

This is why a secure "regcode" encoding table should eventually be
produced that could be based upon Unicode + lingual context, and be
attached to ISO 3166, in using my ccTAGs
(http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-mltf-jfcm-cctags-01.txt) for a unique
secure international sorting and indexing order that could be used in
"internatioperable" applications. (ccTAGs are my proposition of a
stable, standard rooted, of tagging legal orthotypographies that can
be used by networked machines, when langtags correspond to subjective
linguist classification).

Such a regcode will permit to address the international and Internet
protocols' needs through a standard "regularization" process, and to
free Unicode from every network operations constraints.

This issue is going to be a part of my IAB level appeal, because
IDNA2008 is (per its charter and by its results) a severance of the
Internet from Unicode. The responses to the questions legitimately
raised by the proposed charter do in fact belong to the IAB guidance
that I claim IESG should have requested before approving IDNA2008 -
or quoted in a disclaimer indicating that IDNA2008 is the network
side of multilingualization, not the whole of it.

As you know, some consider that the other part belongs to the UI
(User Interface, cf. "resman" draft
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-resman-idna2008-mappings-01.txt>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-resman-idna2008-mappings-01.txt).
I personally think that it also belongs to the architectural IUI
(Internet Usage Interface) introduced by IDNA2008 if one are also to
respect the constraints investigated by the IAB in its Domain
Internationalization draft
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-idn-encoding-01>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-idn-encoding-01
(i.e. the question raised by the AD at the end of the IETF/LC and
left open by the "Mapping" Document). This is why these two document
are important. As important as tedious but comprehensive enough
(<http://www.ietf.org/iesg/appeal/morfin-2010-03-10.pdf>http://www.ietf.org/iesg/appeal/morfin-2010-03-10.pdf)
compilation of my IESG level appeal for those wanting to get the
details and grasp the context of the problem at sole IDN level.

This is why, through UI or IUI, the work this Charter considers is
necessary to complete a more comprehensive review. This can only help
the workon@idna2010.org work on the IDNA2008 user side, and the
IDNA2012 work on their common adminance [technological
administration, maintenance, planning].

However, I would suggest not engaging in it, before the IAB has
published its position on the matter in response to my appeal (family
obligations as you delay me quite a lot).

Your response to my appeal shows that you accept that the issues I
raise are worth an I_D and a BoF (or several ones since there are
several major (IMHO) concerns which should be consistently investigated).

However, until IAB has commented your answer, I do not really know in
which area (if any) such IUI related issues (including the issues
concerned by this charter) should be discussed.

Please remember that IAB has initiated a Draft on IDNs that, at least
for the time being, seems to contradict the very IDNA2003
architectural principle of IDN in Applications and lead to consider
an "IDNApplication" that would certainly impact your evaluation
process because it would permit more flexibility on the user side.
Actually, my own ML-DNS proposition would be much more flexible but
at the same time much more defined in terms of "stringprep" equivalent.

Basically, one cannot have _several_ software modules in different
convergent computer technologies that may convert and resolve
strings, semantic addresses, domain names differently.

So, I fully support the beginning of the Charter: to evaluate the
need. However, I do not think the need is "applications" - but use
and users oriented, so the charter should be very open (like a
rechartering once the evaluation is completed?) to best locate and
charter the next step.

I was opposed by Yao Jiankang that "NewPrep" does not want to focus
on IDN, but internationalized string, there is a difference.

I think I explained that I am not interested in domain names per se,
but in coherence in the way international strings are handled.

More importantly, I feel that the first thing to be done is to
consider if the intended works is to be a set of Charset patches, or
to fit in the Internet architecture which is now based upon RFC 1958,
RFC 3439 and IDNA2008.

I am only interested in the later. This is why I disagree with the
ambiguous "internationalized string" wording. Because we should not
necessarily replicate alternative solutions (RFC 1958) and because we
also should strive for the simplest one (RFC 3439). If we want this
work to be of use, we need to discuss universal services character sets.

The target is to support a multilingual universal networked system,
where IETF so far has tried to diversely internationalize functions
of an ASCII network system. Today, based upon experience we reached
the point where the IDNA2008 character set seems a good enough
working basis for such a multilingual universal network system
character set. This is why for clarity sake I call it "regcode"
(regular code) and its use in replacement of another system (i.e. a
general StringPrep function) "regularization".

I can already list as constraints:

-          "user readyness",
-           interoperability with ASCII and ISO 10646 code points,
-          usability by IDNApplications (users side) and IDNA (network side),
-          as being much phishing proof as possible,
-          orthotypographically acceptable (no semantic value having
to be bent/lost due to regcode constraints)
-          to be unambiguously multilingually/scripturally sortable
throughout all the world digital ecosystem (for example in being able
to be used with my ccTAG proposition).
-          I also add as a major constraint: its universal usability
by IUI slots, what implies a common adminance of this regcode.

In a nutshell we need a world digital ecosystem equivalent to ASCII
(when UCS is a complete CS for typographers).

As I explained, at this stage I am questioning the IETF through a
possible three steps process (appeal to IESG and IAB, possibly ISOC
further to experimental operations) in order to know

-  (1) in which kind of Internet architectural understanding should
we now operate
-  (2) who should lead its adminance [technological administration,
maintenance, planning] (because precisely we do not focus on IDN, and
even not on network issues) and on which grounds.

This leads to a very simple question here:

-          should we adapt a code to existing functions,
-          or adapt protocols and functions to a code - and then which code?

As far as I am concerned I know we need an IUI system wide character
set encoding, and I need all the listed functions to be
interoperational through the IUI (i.e. on the Internet side and the
convergence with other technologies, standards, and users sides).

jfc