Re: [Ntp] Antwort: Re: Symmetric mode

Danny Mayer <mayer@pdmconsulting.net> Wed, 21 September 2022 23:30 UTC

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 19:30:06 -0400
To: kristof.teichel=40ptb.de@dmarc.ietf.org, ntp@ietf.org
From: Danny Mayer <mayer@pdmconsulting.net>
Subject: Re: [Ntp] Antwort: Re: Symmetric mode

See below.

On 9/20/22 11:26 AM, kristof.teichel=40ptb.de@dmarc.ietf.org wrote:
> Some responses in-line.
>
> Besten Gruß / Kind regards,
> Kristof Teichel

Yes. Any set of systems that need to ensure that they are synchronized
together can take advantage of this. Most of the time you would want to
do this if they are all on a LAN. Broadcast, Multicast and Symmetric
Peer modes are particularly useful on a LAN.
> 2) Also, how often do we think the former case happens? A feature
> might be incredibly useful in the case of heavy acid rain, but that
> alone is not reason to implement it. Also, see 3)

I can't answer that since I don't maintain those kinds of systems. If
you loose your external internal internet connections, which we know
happens from time to time, having internal systems synchronized with
each other keeps things working in a coordinated fashion.

> 3) I'm increasingly approaching NTP from a viewpoint of metrological
> traceability (this is important to PTB as an NMI, I intend to
> contribute text suggestions for documents in the future). I believe
> there is a strong case to be made for a simple hierarchical approach
> (i.e. get time from one, pre-specified server, and secure it with NTS
> or other authenticity-protection) if traceability is what one is
> thinking about. Under this perspective, the latter use-case honestly
> seems problematic (traceability mostly goes out the window once you
> don't have a "source" and instead are keeping several equal-level
> partners synchronous, IMO).
For some cases simple hierarchical approach is simpler. PTP does that.
NTS was trimmed down to only handle client/server mode in order to get
it out the door. There's nothing to prevent other modes using NTS,
though Broadcast and Multicast might more be tricky to implement.

> >You really need to take the time to understand it.
>
> I'll reiterate my point from a few weeks ago that I would prefer if we
> keep our tone constructive in WG exchanges.
> This seems like a pretty broad dismissal of a bunch of statements and
> a hard assumption of ignorance.
> Can you give us hints how you find Miroslav's statements
> wrong/misleading (and which ones) so that the rest of us can be part
> of the conversation?
This was not meant as any disrespect of Miroslav or anyone else. I can
only point to documentation and explanations of why symmetric peer mode
is useful. Dave Mills spent years conducting research and development on
this and he has written plenty of papers on this.

> >> At the protocol level it's just trouble. It's difficult to
> >implement
> >> if you want to handle all the corner cases and difficult to secure.
> >> The main problem is that there is no response for each request, so
> >the
> >> peers have to select to which request they respond, i.e. guess
> >which
> >> one was genuine. Authentication with a symmetric key doesn't
> >prevent
> >> a replay attack.
> >See above.
>
> I really don't see how this can be "see above".
> Even if we accept that symmetric mode useful, that doesn't mean it's
> not diffcult.
The main difficultly seems to be understanding why it's used, hence the
subject line of this thread. The implementation is pretty straightforward.
> Or do you mean this is another case of "need to understand"? (In which
> case: see above).
>
> We certainly agreed to give up on the attempt to secure symmetric mode
> with NTS, which supports "difficult to secure".
It was done in the name of getting NTS out the door.

> >> There are ephemeral associations, where only one peer is configured
> >> with the address of the other peer. This enables attackers to
> >replay an
> >> authenticated message to create an unlimited number of associations
> >on
> >> the peer. In the ntp.org implementation there is a possibility to
> >> limit keys to IP addresses to prevent that, but in that case it's
> >> easier to just specify the address directly as a peer in the
> >> configuration file and you don't have to worry about associations
> >> created on different ports of the address.
> >>
> >Not really. Again you need to understand how it works.
>
> Again, could you qualify which of these statements you disagree with
> and/or how so?

Symmetric peer associations are not ephemeral since both sides keep
information of each other the same way that any client does. An attacker
cannot really replay an authenticated message as it would be rejected as
already received. I'm not sure what is meant by limiting IP addresses to
prevent that since a replay attack would have to use the same IP address
to send the packet. In any case you would use a MAC with an agreed-upon
algorithm to prevent fiddling with the contents. You don't however want
to specify specific IP addresses since those can change, you need the
FQDN in any configuration.

Does this help?

Danny