Re: [nvo3] Working Group Last Call and IPR Poll for draft-ietf-nvo3-geneve-08.txt

Jesse Gross <jesse@kernel.org> Wed, 17 October 2018 18:31 UTC

From: Jesse Gross <jesse@kernel.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 11:31:17 -0700
To: gregimirsky@gmail.com
Cc: "Bocci, Matthew (Nokia - GB)" <matthew.bocci@nokia.com>, NVO3 <nvo3@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-nvo3-geneve@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [nvo3] Working Group Last Call and IPR Poll for draft-ietf-nvo3-geneve-08.txt

Greg,

The 'O' bit does not override or interact with the Protocol Type
field, so there is no issue with precedence. It is possible to
implement OAM on Geneve using options, in which case the payload could
be a stub of a packet to ensure consistent behavior between OAM and
data packets as has been done with other protocols. In this situation,
the Protocol Type would still indicate the type of the stub packet as
usual. It is also possible to implement OAM using the payload of the
packet as you describe and the Protocol Type would indicate that using
an EtherType assigned for this purpose.

In either case, the meaning of the 'O' bit is the same and it only
affects the behavior of endpoint devices processing OAM. Most devices
are oblivious to this and will simply use the Protocol Type field to
process the payload as usual. The appropriate behavior for 'O' bit
flagged packets is described in the draft:

      Endpoints MUST NOT forward the payload and
      transit devices MUST NOT attempt to interpret or process it.
      Since these are infrequent control messages, it is RECOMMENDED
      that endpoints direct these packets to a high priority control
      queue (for example, to direct the packet to a general purpose CPU
      from a forwarding ASIC or to separate out control traffic on a
      NIC).  Transit devices MUST NOT alter forwarding behavior on the
      basis of this bit, such as ECMP link selection.

The 'O' bit does not otherwise change the interpretation of the packet.

Jesse