Re: [nvo3] Draft NVO3 WG Charter

"Pat Thaler" <pthaler@broadcom.com> Sat, 18 February 2012 01:35 UTC

From: Pat Thaler <pthaler@broadcom.com>
To: Larry Kreeger <kreeger@cisco.com>, Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net>, David Black <david.black@emc.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 01:34:44 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.240.250.47]
Cc: "narten@us.ibm.com" <narten@us.ibm.com>, "jdrake@juniper.net" <jdrake@juniper.net>, "rbonica@juniper.net" <rbonica@juniper.net>, "nvo3@ietf.org" <nvo3@ietf.org>, "afarrel@juniper.net" <afarrel@juniper.net>, "nitinb@juniper.net" <nitinb@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: [nvo3] Draft NVO3 WG Charter

VDP (in IEEE P802.1Qbg) does not assume that the VM is defined by a layer 2 "inner" address. It identifies a VSI by a VSI ID which can be an IP address (v4 or v6), MAC address, UUID (RFC 4122) or locally defined format. It can also carry filter information - several formats are currently defined for filter info - some of them have a 32-bit GroupID to cover the cases where a 12 bit VID isn't large enough to identify the virtual network. That was added based on the need to support a larger identifier when PBB was used, but it could serve for other 24 bit tenant identifiers.

VDP is a protocol that runs between the end system (e.g. a hypervisor) to an adjacent bridge so it serves to communicate from the end system to the device on the edge of the network that a VM is moving, but it doesn't cover how to propagate news of that move across the network. It might be a piece of the broader solution but it isn't a complete solution.

Pat