Re: [OAUTH-WG] why are we signing?

John Panzer <jpanzer@google.com> Tue, 10 November 2009 04:18 UTC

From: John Panzer <jpanzer@google.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 20:18:13 -0800
To: Brian Eaton <beaton@google.com>
Cc: oauth@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] why are we signing?

My $.02 for what it's worth:  #1 is sufficient, if there is a standard
mechanism to also handle access token timeout+renewal, because then
OAuth is at least as secure as existing cookie based mechanisms.

#1 may well be sufficient even without that proviso, assuming TLS is
widely deployable, scalable, and Ben Laurie doesn't blog about more
vulnerabilities next week (kidding!)

(Note that nothing stops someone from doing their own encryption of
user data using some other mechanism, if they really need to do so;
OAuth just wouldn't standardize this.)

--
John Panzer / Google
jpanzer@google.com / abstractioneer.org / @jpanzer