Re: FW: OSPF WG Charter Proposal

Jeff Parker <jparker@AXIOWAVE.COM> Wed, 30 October 2002 15:35 UTC

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:37:18 -0500
From: Jeff Parker <jparker@AXIOWAVE.COM>
Subject: Re: FW: OSPF WG Charter Proposal
To: OSPF@DISCUSS.MICROSOFT.COM

I can't speak for the others, but here are my thoughts.

In OSPF, there is no restriction on what a PDU contains,
and a router can deal out an arbitrary hand from the
LSA in the DB.  IS-IS, on the other hand, fixes the
contents of a Link State PDU (LSP) at creation time.
If one TLV changes in IS-IS, we cannot simply flood
the updated TLV: we have to regenerate and reflood
the whole LSP.

This is all to say that the standard unit of exchange
in ISIS is a big honking LSP of 1492 or more bytes.
We decided to split this into TLVs (rather than hand
back a whole LSP) due to concerns about SNMP limits,
not because we thought is was the best thing to do.

This is moot in OSPF, as there is no "standard unit"
bigger than an LSA, and thus I wouldn't expect the
same issue to arise.

- jeff parker