RE: [PCN] Architecture draft - probing section & general updates.

"Jozef Babiarz" <babiarz@nortel.com> Mon, 29 October 2007 21:05 UTC

Subject: RE: [PCN] Architecture draft - probing section & general updates.
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:05:36 -0400
From: Jozef Babiarz <babiarz@nortel.com>
To: Lars Eggert <lars.eggert@nokia.com>
Cc: pcn@ietf.org, "Geib, Ruediger" <Ruediger.Geib@t-systems.com>

Hi Lars,
I did not explain my scenario that clearly, I confused people the word
"access node". So here goes a second try.

I'm thinking of a scenario that many enterprises face today. Large multi
location enterprises use multiple WAN links or VPS to interconnect their
locations (branch offices). PCN is run inside the enterprise network
including WAN links which may be tunneled across the carrier network.
Carrier network is not required to support PCN as the enterprise traffic
including PCN marking is tunneled, however it could.  Network Access
Control with PCN admission control is done at the *enterprise* LAN edge
switch/router. New flows can be routed to any egress LAN edge
switch/router and some flows will (between different locations) be
routed over one of the WAN links which are normally bandwidth
constrained. There is a high probability that many of the edge LAN
switches/routers will have no flows setup between each other (no
ingress-egress aggregate) as there are a large number of edge LAN
switches/routers in the enterprise network and people calling patterns
change. They normal expect that they should be able to call anyone.

Regards, Joe
email:babiarz@nortel.com