Re: [PWE3] GAL above and below the PW label

Curtis Villamizar <curtis@occnc.com> Thu, 31 March 2011 09:15 UTC

To: Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com>
From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis@occnc.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 05:16:43 -0400
Sender: curtis@occnc.com
Cc: "pwe3@ietf.org" <pwe3@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [PWE3] GAL above and below the PW label

In message <A3C5DF08D38B6049839A6F553B331C76D722D07565@ILPTMAIL02.ecitele.com>
Alexander Vainshtein writes:

> Sriganesh, Curtis and all,
>
> IMHO and FWIW I think that the only problem with VCCV Type 3 is the
> risk of OAM packets leaking out of T-PE towards the AC (if you
> accidentally set the TTL value too high). To the best of my
> understanding the offset proposal does not solve that - or did I miss
> something?

That can be fixed by looking at the next label (if there is one) before
forwarding at PW egress to the AC.  The implementation already has to
make a similar chack on every packet if CW is used, but looking after
the S=1 label entry.  If CW is used it would be wise to do both checks
(be liberal in what you accept and careful in what you forward).

> One way to solve it is to use VCCV Type 1 (clean where applicable).
> Another way would be by using GAL below the PW label (possible but
> messy). If the industry moves towards deprecating Ethernet PWs without
> CW, it becomes completely unnecessary.

I agree with your last sentence but I don't know that non-CW can be
depricated.

> My 2c,
>      Sasha

Curtis