Re: [PWE3] GAL above and below the PW label

Curtis Villamizar <curtis@occnc.com> Thu, 31 March 2011 11:47 UTC

To: Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com>
From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis@occnc.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 07:49:32 -0400
Sender: curtis@occnc.com
Cc: "pwe3@ietf.org" <pwe3@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [PWE3] GAL above and below the PW label

In message <A3C5DF08D38B6049839A6F553B331C76D722D075E4@ILPTMAIL02.ecitele.com>
Alexander Vainshtein writes:

> Curtis,
>
> The results of the PWE3 survey (it is difficult to say how
> representative it really is) seem to indicate that ability to support
> CW in the Ethernet PW encapsulation is quite common (13-14 out of 17
> respondents) and reasonably used (8 out of 17 respondents).

Yes.  I personally would have liked to require CW.  Some operators
have indicated a preference for no CW, understanding that it won't
work for multipath, but will work in metro/access or small networks.

> This survey does not provide any information about using GAL with
> PWs. Maybe we should extend the survey to learn that?  My expectation,
> not based on any facts, is that no one has been using it at the
> moment:-).

I doubt anyone has implemented GAL with PW already.

> So if the choice is between fixing an old bug at the root (by
> deprecating PW encapsulations without CW) or adding a new patch (GAL
> in the PW) for the same purpose, I clearly prefer the first option.

Realistically we not be able to require CW at this point.  If we
could, I'd be in favor of doing so.  If not, then we are stuck with
GAL to provide one good method which will work fine with or without CW.

> Regards,
>      Sasha

Curtis