Re: [PWE3] GAL above and below the PW label

Carlos Pignataro <cpignata@cisco.com> Fri, 22 April 2011 04:48 UTC

Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 00:48:45 -0400
From: Carlos Pignataro <cpignata@cisco.com>
To: Sriganesh Kini <sriganesh.kini@ericsson.com>
Cc: pwe3@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [PWE3] GAL above and below the PW label

Hi Sriganesh,

Do you see the applicability of draft-kini-pwe3-inband-cc-offset
strictly limited to the encapsulation proposed in
draft-kini-pwe3-pkt-encap-efficient-ip-mpls?

Specifically, for a PW that carries say Ethernet without CW (or any of
the other encap modes with non-mandatory CW), there is no "flow" that is
being ECMP-ed in the core that you want to mimic/imitate in a
load-balancing pseudo-header. Conversely, for "IP PWs", LSP-Ping can
take different Equal-cost paths (all of them, one by one) based on
choosing the destination IP address. And there is no need for this when
there is a CW.

I am trying to understand how common is the use case for what this
optimizes for.

Thanks,

-- Carlos.