Re: [PWE3] GAL above and below the PW label

Curtis Villamizar <curtis@occnc.com> Thu, 31 March 2011 11:38 UTC

To: Sriganesh Kini <sriganesh.kini@ericsson.com>
From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis@occnc.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 07:40:28 -0400
Sender: curtis@occnc.com
Cc: "pwe3@ietf.org" <pwe3@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [PWE3] GAL above and below the PW label

Sriganesh, Sasha, Loa, Dave,

Would you please not top post.  See inline.

Curtis

In message <AANLkTimGJTVa42CFsj-PRcLiPLGTBhZ-t3sNRcTadHHe@mail.gmail.com>
Sriganesh Kini writes:

> Sasha, that issue with VCCV Type-3 (without CW) is not addressed by
> the draft. Practically, is that a major issue ? Especially setting TTL
> > 1 for SS PW is possible I guess but would be some kind of serious
> operational oversight. Besides such a packet would fail some check
> along the path.

End to end OAM should set TTL>1 and not use VCCV Type-3.  The T-PE may
not have reliable information to set TTL, so in MS-PW it might be
worth discouraging VCCV Type-3 except for use as a traceroute
capability or to address S-PEs by node distance along the path.

> Also, what I heard at the mic regarding impl results is that it
> doesn't make sense to deprecate what is already deployed.

Yes.  But VCCV Type-3 with MS-PW is not already deployed.

> Note that CC Type 1 prevents ECMP (when FAT-PW is not available).
> Using GAL below PW also requires ECMP based on label hashing to ignore
> reserved labels.

You don't want ECMP to hash on PW payload.  With CW and without
fat-pw, you don't get ECMP on a PW but you do get ECMP on an LSP
containing many PW.

> 2011/3/31 Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com>:
> > Sriganesh, Curtis and all,
> > IMHO and FWIW I think that the only problem with VCCV Type 3 is the
> > risk of OAM packets leaking out of T-PE towards the AC (if you
> > accidentally set the TTL value too high). To the best of my
> > understanding the offset proposal does not solve that - or did I miss
> > something?
> >
> > One way to solve it is to use VCCV Type 1 (clean where applicable).
> > Another way would be by using GAL below the PW label (possible but
> > messy). If the industry moves towards deprecating Ethernet PWs
> > without CW,  it becomes completely unnecessary.
> >
> > My 2c,
> >     Sasha

This is the context suggesting a potential problem with VCCV Type 3.