Re: [PWE3] GAL above and below the PW label

Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com> Thu, 31 March 2011 09:33 UTC

From: Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com>
To: Sriganesh Kini <sriganesh.kini@ericsson.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:34:15 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "pwe3@ietf.org" <pwe3@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [PWE3] GAL above and below the PW label

Sriganesh,
Please see inline below.

Regards,
     Sasha

[[[Sasha]]] That is what I said:-(
> > Practically, is that a major issue ? Especially setting TTL
> > 1 for SS PW is possible I guess but would be some kind of serious
> operational oversight. Besides such a packet would fail some check
> along the path.
[[[Sasha]]] If you mean SS-PW, then the chance for an error(sending an OAM packet with TTL > 1
or sending a data packet with TTL = 1) is small and should be treated as an implementation bug.
With  dynamic MS-PWs, the number of segments of a MS-PW can change with time, so that the originally
Correct TTL setting would suddenly result in leakage of OAM packets out of the AC.
All this is described in detail in 6073.

> Also, what I heard at the mic regarding impl results is that it
> doesn't make sense to deprecate what is already deployed.

[[[Sasha]]] To the best of my recollection, what has been said at the mike is that you cannot
change optional CW usage to mandatory when you progress from PS to DS.
But, to the best of my understanding of the IETF process and practice, nothing prevents us
from publishing a BCP document that would declare non-usage of the CW deprecated.
This would push the vendors to support it in their new boxes (SW upgrades), and it would
be understood by the operators as a suggestion to transit to using the CW if their equipment
supports it -- all that without outlawing non-usage of the CW.