Re: [RAI] Back to the topic : Reducing Delays

"Pete Cordell" <pete@tech-know-ware.com> Mon, 09 March 2009 10:09 UTC

From: Pete Cordell <pete@tech-know-ware.com>
To: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>, rai@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 10:10:15 -0000
Subject: Re: [RAI] Back to the topic : Reducing Delays

----- Original Message From: "Hannes Tschofenig"
> It does not take too long until the discussion derails and the entire
> group
> spends a fair amount of time discussing something else (often related).

I find that even when discussions stay on topic they often just seem to
fizzle out with out a real conclusion.  I think it would really help if each
major thread ended with an email that attempts to capture consensus.  I
guess it would fall to a chair to either write, or (more likely) invite one
of the participants to write up a consensus on the discussion.  This would
have to include what each party thought, where there was agreement, where
there was disagreement, and possibly what the road ahead was.

I would suggest that such e-mails have [Consensus Proposal] in the subject
line.  If necessary that could be argued over, and when all parties are
happy (which may involve the e-mail recording their unhappiness!), a final
e-mail is submitted with the subject line including [Consensus].  Among
other things, I think this would greatly help finding conclusions to
discussions in the mail archives at a later date.

I think it could also be a useful tool for chairs to bring discussions back
on topic.

On a related matter, I was wondering if you can use xml2rfc's <cref> tag to
include explanatory text in addition to author questions.  For example, you
could then do something like <cref>See "[Consensus] Impossible Problem" on
SIP list dated 10 Feb 1998</cref> to record why a particular approach has
been taken.  This could then be displayed in the working drafts, but not in
the final RFC.  Or maybe it would be better to use a different tag with the
same functionality but having a different semantic meaning.

HTH,

Pete Cordell